Was going to buy and then measured my tank....thank God!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cox82

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I'm green....VERY GREEN....keep this in mind. I have been studying and researching SW FOWLR systems for awhile now. I was confident in my decisions and had made a plan that I was about to SLOWLY start carrying out. Last night I made the plan to go to my LFS today and get prices on the equipment that I needed and buy some of the things that I need. I had the 100 gallon tank given to me and had decided to measure it and the sump and figured out that the '100 gallon tank' is actually a 33 gallon tank hahahaha. So, I'm starting over again. I am a little back and forth about some things now. I'm reconsidering the sump with fuge and going with a filter instead. Then I can use the 10 gallon tank, that I was going to make a DIY sump out of, as a hospital/segregation tank.

1. Do I even need a skimmer anymore?
2. Can I go with filter instead of skimmer?
3. How much play sand, dead and live rock should I put in?

Here's my new plan, if the answers to the above are what I think they will be (from my hours and hours and hours and hours...and hours :D of reading):

2 x 150 watt heaters
2 x T5 lights
Canister filter x 2 (one for the hospital/segregation tank)
2 x 240 gph powerheads
Refractometer
Thermometer x2
Water test kits
RO/DI Unit (I might wait for this and buy water for the first couple of months)
Salt
Play sand
Dead rock
Live rock

I'm going to start with the sand (2-3" bed) and rock, cycle the tank and then add some hermit crabs and snails...then little by little, I'll add a few fish, I'm not planning one going overboard on this one, just testing out the new hobby and showing my hubby I can do it so he buys me a big one for the REEF lmao....I have to laugh at this because when i started researching I thought 'FOWLR is enough, I won't go reef" now I know **** well that I'll be going reef within a few years.

Back
Top Bottom