Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aar0nsky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings all,

I am a n00b and I just started out my 10 gallon. Fish store was an epic fail since I was told to just put dechlorinater in the tank and let it run overnight. I know its the same story everyone has but I feel embarrassed to admit it. Anyways I also feel dumb since I did no research and just bought some fish.
So far I have 3 tiger barbs, 3 black mollies, and 1 angelfish. So far what I have observed is that this was not a good idea for the angelfish and I can only hope there is something I can do about it. He seems to just sit in the corner and I dont think I have seen him eat.(saw him once but he was spitting it back out?)

Aside from that, I am so interested in this hobby I found a 80 gallon tank on craigslist that I had to get since the price was ridiculously low and I plan on starting that the tank right way since I have read I need to start a fish in cycle right now which seems like it will be tedious. Fishless cycling an 80 gallon for a few months wont be too fun either but less work on my end or so I think. I also went out and bought an API master kit. I tested yesterday and the only things that seem eh are the amonia is at .25 ppm and the ph is at 8.2 I think. (I am at work and have the numbers at home)
I will probably do atleast a 40% water change tonight( I think this is the right direction to go?) to see if that helps anything.
I am still trying to get the hang of all the data my brain needs to absorb to be successful in taking care of these guys.

So my knowledge is very much limited but I will be reading ALOT in the next coming weeks. Any info is appreciated.(Tips, tricks, funny jokes, etc.)

PS - The forum looks great, I have been lurking for a few hours before I registered.

Welcome to AA!

You have a lot of problems in the 10 gallon, first, the angel needs at least 30 gallons, the barbs a 20 long, and the barbs will probably eat away the angels fins
I'll give you my secret for fish less cycling since it sounds like you really need to hurry, here is my secret for cycling it in 2 weeks!
First, you need to put the filter media from an established tank into your filter, just ask your local fish store to give you one from their tanks
2, add tetra safe start
And your tank will likely cycle in two weeks(still, wait a week after your parameters are in check, just in case)
Hope this helps, anymore questions ask, or pm me if you have questions
Welcome!

Welcome to AA!

You have a lot of problems in the 10 gallon, first, the angel needs at least 30 gallons, the barbs a 20 long, and the barbs will probably eat away the angels fins
I'll give you my secret for fish less cycling since it sounds like you really need to hurry, here is my secret for cycling it in 2 weeks!
First, you need to put the filter media from an established tank into your filter, just ask your local fish store to give you one from their tanks
2, add tetra safe start
And your tank will likely cycle in two weeks(still, wait a week after your parameters are in check, just in case)
Hope this helps, anymore questions ask, or pm me if you have questions
Welcome!

Excellent thank you. I will have to do someting with the angelfish then :( my 80 gallon wont be ready for awhile.

Can I order one of the active filter materials from Angels Plus? If so which one would I get? I really dont want to deal with my LFS if possible.

Well, go to petsmart or something, or ask a friend for a used filter media, get one the size that fits your 80 gallon filter or even if it doesn't fit, get it

Well, go to petsmart or something, or ask a friend for a used filter media, get one the size that fits your 80 gallon filter or even if it doesn't fit, get it

Alright I got some rocks from an already established tank so hopefully the bacteria from that will be good. Also I put safe start in it. How long after I put this stuff in should I do another water change?

Also it seems my pH is very high and I was wondering the best route to take for that? I am going to get a piece of driftwood tomorrow so I hope that will help?

Back
Top Bottom