New filter suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeremiah_Conway

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for a new filter for my 75g
What style or brand of canister filter would help reduce my w.c frequency
Tank is stocked
No plants

You'll get tons of recommendations on type, brand and size, but first, how often are you looking at doing water changes? Once a week is usually the minimum. Anything less than that and you can have issues with your water quality, not just build up of nitrates.

Without plants it doesn't matter what filter you have water changes are always needed. Planted tanks can be a little less strict such as plant like hornwort that absorb some nitrates.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tank Filtration

I'm looking for a new filter for my 75g
What style or brand of canister filter would help reduce my w.c frequency
Tank is stocked
No plants

Hello Jer...

If you find a mechanical filter of any kind out there, that will take the place of large, weekly water changes, I'd love to hear about it. I've been in the water keeping hobby for several years and I don't think you can replace water changes with any kind of mechanical contrivance that will reduce the need for water changes. Good luck, though.

B

I actually agree with b here.. no amount of filtration will ever take the place of wc's. A weekly wc will remove build of nitrates and other doo doo nasties hanging around the tank.. it also replenishes minerals and trace elements that benefit the fauna and aid in overall tank stability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I actually agree with b here.. no amount of filtration will ever take the place of wc's. A weekly wc will remove build of nitrates and other doo doo nasties hanging around the tank.. it also replenishes minerals and trace elements that benefit the fauna and aid in overall tank stability.

I also for once agree with B.
Water changed are a essential part of aquarium keeping, and it is impossible to get around them. If you find a magic filter that will do the trick let me know! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also for once agree with B.
Water changed are a essential part of aquarium keeping, and it is impossible to get around them. If you find a magic filter that will do the trick let me know! ;)

Sump with auto drain/ top off;)

I need to work on a auto change filter in the fishroom.

It's easy! Well.. if you know how to run pvc pipe and wire switches and plugs...

It's easy! Well.. if you know how to run pvc pipe and wire switches and plugs...

Then all you need is an auto doser for prime :p or just an RO/DI unit.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

That's the issue, I'm good with pvc, air flow, and water going where it needs to go. But I'm a horrible electrician...

Maybe I'll make a thread on it

That's the issue, I'm good with pvc, air flow, and water going where it needs to go. But I'm a horrible electrician...

Use extension cords, portable gfi and power strips.

I'll make a thread, because my family is moving is moving to a house with a bigger garage and basement and I have already gotten the ok for another rack

I'll make a thread, because my family is moving is moving to a house with a bigger garage and basement and I have already gotten the ok for another rack

What happens if and when you go to college young man??

What happens if and when you go to college young man??

I'm going to KSU for my bachelor for medschool. Then Emory. Both are driving distance, but I will be breaking down 70% of the tanks until I'm done with colleague

Maybe I'll try a few plants
Without plants it doesn't matter what filter you have water changes are always needed. Planted tanks can be a little less strict such as plant like hornwort that absorb some nitrates.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

uploadfromtaptalk1426197630685.jpgI recently upgraded tank size but filter hang on type inadequate so I'm battling to keep water clean
I'm buying a canister type this weekend so I thought I'd see what others are using

I have these angels for 5 years and understand w.c. 's
If anyone has any suggestions or warnings about certain brands thanks

Back
Top Bottom