snow storm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeBabes62

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I hope all on this site are safe both tonight and especially tomorrow fro this horrendous storm that is pummeling the East Coast. Be safe out there everyone.:fish1:

I fear possible power outage and the halting of filters and lack of heaters for my tank. Oh well

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I fear possible power outage and the halting of filters and lack of heaters for my tank. Oh well

I have family and friends directly in the path of this storm so I wish you all well and hope for a safe outcome.
Here's some tips that may help your fishy friends:D :

In the case of a power outage, you can continue to aerate the water by using a plastic cup ( or a cup that has not had soap in it) and take water from the tank and pour it back into the tank so that there is some splash. That will do the same as bubbles. If you have an overflow type ( HOB) filter, you can take the water from the tank and pour it into the filter to keep the biological alive as well. This can be done once every 15 minutes or so depending on how many fish are in the tank. The more fish, the more frequently you should splash water.
As for lack of heaters, you can wrap the tank(s) up in blankets or if available, use sheets of styrofoam or polystyrene to adhere to the outside of the tank(s) and that will prevent some heat loss while you are waiting for power to resume. I used this polystyrene method outside in the freezing temps a few years back and with my heater, kept my tanks at 75 degrees inside while the temps were in the 30s outside. The normal setting was 78 degrees. It was the poly sheets that made the difference as the heater alone could not keep up with the dropping temps.

Hope this helps. (y)

First welcome to AA

I haven't lived on the east coast in over 11 years but I do remember the big storms quite well not only the snow but also the hurricanes , I know it's no walk in the park ,

I'm now out in the mid west in Colorado and we see tons of snow , ever since nov we have snow on the ground most is packed down well about a 2ft base in the yard to have more fall on top of that ,our weather is so unpredictable one day it's below freezing the next around 60* than it gets cold again and snows ,

I know a lot of east coast states are not prepared for all the snow , let them get thing cleaned up before you go out and about always keep extra cloths and blankets in your car along with water , never get caught unprepared if your car breaks down first priority is to keep warm , stay in your car as it's warmer than roaming out to find help and getting lost and freezing to death

be safe

So far: 24 inches of snow and just enough wind to prevent accumulation on branches (so no power outage... Knock on wood). Lots of shoveling ahead. Yippee.

Welcome to the forum! We got some snow, but nothing monumental...about nine inches! No power outages in my area or anything luckily!

Back
Top Bottom