Aquarium background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
Maybe a stupid question but how do you make you background hold on the back of your tank ? I`ve tried 2 techniques yet. The scotchtape one and the Vaseline one and both end up unsticking from the glass. Any good suggestions ?

I could never get vaseline or mineral oil to work either, even if i cleaned the glass with windex first and let it dry a few hours.

I gave up, and just use acrylic craft paint to paint the exterior back wall on all my tanks. I go with cobalt blue, or black...although some time I'm gonna try some fancier faux finish techniques to see if I can get something cooler.

bear in mind, all my tanks are fully planted, so you don't see nearly as much back wall as a non planted tank.

Well... i never tought of this one. Might be a good idea. So acrylic paint eh ? maybe i'll try that on my next tank. thanks for the answer.

Hyrules said:
Maybe a stupid question but how do you make you background hold on the back of your tank ? I`ve tried 2 techniques yet. The scotchtape one and the Vaseline one and both end up unsticking from the glass. Any good suggestions ?

The best thing I have used is the Ocean's Visions vinyl background. Seems hard at first but as you as you keep it really wet and have a good squegee, follow the directions the results are amazing:

http://www.aquaricare.org/category.html?UCIDs=414801

I've had great luck with using vegetable oil on the background . . .just have to really slather it on there . . .it should be squeezing out the edges when you squeegee the background on.

As for the acrylic paint . . . lonewolfblue just recently did a tank with one of those faux finish type paints . . . .looked really great too . . .give him a holler if he doesn't poke his head in here on his own.

Here's mine. Only took 10 minutes to apply. First, tape the edges. Then get a spray can of whatever textured paint you want, and spray away. I got the paint at Lowes. Just look in the area where there's cans of spray paint, and you'll find some really nice textured paints. Another one I like is the spray that looks like hammered metal. Then there's a paint you roll on in 2 coats. Apply the first paint, and let it dry. Then apply the 2nd paint, and the first starts cracking. Gives the cracked rock look. So many choices to choose from, and no dealing with squeegies, or water spots under the background from accidental spillage.

75g5.jpg

75g6.jpg

75g31.jpg

I think i`ll do that a get a cobalt blue for my background. I dont intend to stuff my aquarium with decoration. I want to see the background a little giving the impression of underwater. Sure i will have some real plants but not that much but it is a very beautifull aquarium you have there. Nicely organized giving a natural look. What size is it ( in gallons ) and how thick is you sand bed ?

It's a 75G planted tank. I'm using Eco Complete as my gravel. It's a plant substrate. I have anywhere from 3-5 inches, 3 in the front, and up to 5 inches in areas in the back.

Has anyone applied a background paint with a brush?
Can you see any brushmarks when done that way?
I'd rather not spray mine cuz I won't be able to get it outside and I'm afraid of making a mess.

Scotch tape has worked for me. It wraps a bit around the edge, but you can't really see it.

GlitcH said:
Has anyone applied a background paint with a brush?
Can you see any brushmarks when done that way?
I'd rather not spray mine cuz I won't be able to get it outside and I'm afraid of making a mess.

I just masked mine off and sprayed in the dining room where the tank sits. Slid it to the middle of the floor, taped it off, and sprayed it. Didn't get anything on the floor either. Just do short quick strokes so it doesn't get too thick and start running. 2 coats is usually fine, can do the 2nd coat 15 minutes after the first coat is applied. Was quick and easy.

Also, I had a small fan directed out the front door for ventilation, even though I didn't need it. Didn't realize the spray I used didn't have much for fumes, like the regular spray paints. I think it's water-based. Had very little scent to it.

I used a foam brush and oil base paint and it worked well

I did several coats too cover the little marks the foam brush did not fill.

Thx guys.........I brushed the first coat on last night........it will need another coat tonight.

Back
Top Bottom