Equipment for new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, if all goes well I am getting a 58 gallon tank to replace my current 20 gallon. The only equipment it comes with is the stand and a strip light, which I may upgrade in the future. Not sure what the lighting is to begin with, but I'm going to ask when I call about the tank. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for filter and heater brands and models. This will be the biggest tank I have ever had, so I am unfamiliar with the higher capacity filters and such. I just bought a marineland penguin biowheel 350 for my 30 gallon, and so far I like it. I may go with another of the same for the new tank, seeing as it is rated for a 70 gallon tank, but I want some opinions on other brands and models. Same for heaters, I know I should be aiming for around 400-500 watts, right? Also, I plan to stick with a HOB filter for now.

I really like Eheim Canister filters.

For heaters, I have had good luck with the viaAqua Titanium heaters. If you go with a canister filter, you could also look at an inline heater, which would keep unsightly equipment out of the tank.

No, you don't need 400-500 watts! You only need around 150-200w depending on the heater brand.

Uncle Dirty said:
No, you don't need 400-500 watts! You only need around 150-200w depending on the heater brand.

Yeah, I'm running it with a 200 watt Ebo jäger and it's perfect. I got a used one when I picked up the tank for only $2. Lucky me!

I personally like my aquaclear filters. I dont have to buy media just rinse and put it back.

Alyxx said:
Yeah, I'm running it with a 200 watt Ebo jäger and it's perfect. I got a used one when I picked up the tank for only $2. Lucky me!

Great find! Ebo's are great heaters.

Uncle Dirty said:
Great find! Ebo's are great heaters.

I've discovered this. I love it. The people selling the tank had lots of equipment they didn't need, so I got the heater, a good air pump, and a magfloat for about $7 and I got an ok filter for free. Forget the brand, but I'm running that and a marine land bio filter 350 on the tank.

Im running 2 marineland 350s canisters with bio wheels with no problem also have 300 watt inline heater on 1 and 9watt uv on the othier love it... Ive read bad reviews on the stuff but took the chance turns out its just dumb people who cant do what the paper tells them...you can get 1 for $85 at drfosterand smith

Back
Top Bottom