Heater for 55 gallon African cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
What would be the best heater for a 55 gallon mbuna African cichlid tank? Both a make and wattage as well as a reason why please.

brandonv26 said:
What would be the best heater for a 55 gallon mbuna African cichlid tank? Both a make and wattage as well as a reason why please.

AqueonPro 200 watt is what I would use. I always go bigger then the recommended wattage for the tank size. So a 200 watt they say is good for up to 75 gallons. You could even go with a 250. Your going to set it anyway.

A word of advice. Eventually when funds allow. Get a backup just incase.

Some use 2 heaters, one on each side. I just use one. I have another in place just incase.

its so confusing deciding what to pick lol I have read some posts that say use a 100w on a 55g because even though it will take longer to heat it, once its heated if for example the heater doesnt shut off, the 100w wont overheat your tank or atleast not within a day whereas a 200w or 250w could overheat your aquarium in the time you leave for and come home from work. Then once I determine sizing I need to determine a manufacturer.

brandonv26 said:
its so confusing deciding what to pick lol I have read some posts that say use a 100w on a 55g because even though it will take longer to heat it, once its heated if for example the heater doesnt shut off, the 100w wont overheat your tank or atleast not within a day whereas a 200w or 250w could overheat your aquarium in the time you leave for and come home from work. Then once I determine sizing I need to determine a manufacturer.

I've read a bunch of different things. You go with what makes you comfortable. Just remember ANY heater can malfunction, if you set a 100w heater for 76 it will shut off at 76, if you set a 250w heater to 76 it will shut off at 76 assuming they are working properly.

I always go one up.

Any other comments/opinions on this? I appreciate the input that I've gotten I just like more than one opinion lol

Any other comments/opinions on this? I appreciate the input that I've gotten I just like more than one opinion lol

I love my ViaAqua 200W Titanium heater, I too have a 55 gallon tank. keeps the sensor away from the heater for what seems like a very accurate reading and it stands out a little less on the black background then the glass heaters I've used.

I have both a 200w and a 250W aqueon pro on my 55 , they keep it at a constant 82 degrees , I tried a marine land visa therm but it kept burning out

Back
Top Bottom