Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woots1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for new power heads for my 30 gallon reef tank. What size and type of pumps is recommended? Should I do two smaller ones or one larger one? I have a hang on the back sump and refugium so they add additional flow to the tank.

I've been researching this one myself. I can't give you any advice based on my experience, but I can impart what I've found - keep in mind I don't know how reliable this info is. It seems to be a general consensus that several small power heads are better than one big one. I also read an article that said you should have water flow 30 times the volume of you tank with FOWLR and 50 times if you have a reef tank with demanding coral. So in your case two 750 gal/hr power heads should be good - if not overkill. I'm shooting for 35-40 since I have no plan to keep demanding coral, as I don't have the expertise to keep them alive anyway.

I think a good set up would be a jebao wp10 and then a small cheap circ. Pump towards the back of the tank to help stir up detritus behind the rock work

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just chiming in because I want to better understand the topic. Is the goal of high turnover and circulation in a SW tank:
A. Eliminate dead spots; ensure that any debris becomes suspended and eventually drawn into the filter
B. Keep the LR and LR inhabitants happy
C. Both A and B
Also, here is a similar thread on the subject: Detritus problem

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was actually looking at doing the hydors or something along those lines.
And I would say the goal is to eliminate those dead spots so there isn't detritus and areas that could be problems. Plus it helps to keep the livestock happy. The goal with any tank in my opinion is to make as much like their natural systems as possible.

I just bought two hydor 850's for my 55 gal tank. Figure if it isn't enough current I can always add later. drsfostersmith.com has a sale going on them right now. The 850's are $28. 1150's are $31. Lowest prices I've been able to find. (The 1150's were on the shelf at my LFS for $59.99!)

I just bought two hydor 850's for my 55 gal tank. Figure if it isn't enough current I can always add later. drsfostersmith.com has a sale going on them right now. The 850's are $28. 1150's are $31. Lowest prices I've been able to find. (The 1150's were on the shelf at my LFS for $59.99!)

800GPH Wave Maker Circulation Pump Aquarium Fish Reef Powerhead Magnetic Mount | eBay
2 Pcs Circulation Pump Wave Maker 800 GPH Aquarium Powerhead Magnetic Mount | eBay
Circulation Pump 800 GPH Wave Maker Aquarium Reef Powerhead Magnetic Mount | eBay

That eBay pump is not a brand name pump. Who knows what you're getting. Why can't you just let me have my victory?

I run those pumps. Love em. Run just as well as the Hydors. just try and stay away from the ones with the scution cup, those pretty much go bad really fast. the ones with the magnets are good. I still run them today.

I had the hydro's for two years on my 30 gallon not to bad but then they stopped working. I was going to get the same ones again but thought I would try something else. now have had the Sicce voyager nano for about 6 months. I like it more then the old ones I had.

First you need to figure out what kind of reef you are setting up. I'm assuming you are doing low or low-moderate flow corals (ie softies and some LPS). I've been away from the hobby for quit some time, but low-moderate flow would be around 20-50gph. Well over 50gph would be high flow SPS happy environment.

2+ powerheads is better than 1. Reason is you help create the right flow for different areas of your tank depending on where the flow is coming. You can set up the flow to make the bottom area of your tank for low flow softies and higher area of the tank moderate flow LPS.

This above is the main reason to why powerheads is important to a tank to a reef tank. Other important features is keeping the water going through the live rocks and keeping some debris and waste suspended until it gets to your overflow, filter, or water changes.

I put in two hydors (got them for as cheap as any other ones) and they seem to being doing a good job. Just need to work on getting the best position. But I do like having two pumps instead of one like I had before, allows different areas to get flow

Tie a piece of string to a net handle and it will show you the flow zones in the tank, use it to position your phs so you have no dead zones

Back
Top Bottom