Protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liquid_blue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting a marine tank and I was wondering about using a protein skimmer. I have a 20gal long tank. I plan to use a Marineland emperor 280 filter. Live rock and live sand. I was told I need one and told I don't can anyone help?

On small tanks, it is not unreasonable to rely on regular water changes to serve the same role that a protein skimmer would. That does not say that a protein skimmer would be a bad thing. I would also add that if you are using live rock, the HOB filter would really serve more to just stir up the water. I am not sure what the flow rate on the filter would be, but you may want to consider an additional powerhead for water flow.

Well the flow rate is 280 gph. how big of a powerhead should I use?

thanks

For a 20g tank if you shoot for 40 lbs of live rock with a good sand bed and throw in 2 maxijet 600's with your filter and you should be good. I would advice changing out 5 gallons of water a week to prevent algae breakouts and water quality problems.

Also, if you do decide to look into a skimmer anyway, pay particular attention to how tall it is. You don't have much height to work with using a 20L tank.

The general rule of thumb for flow rates is ten times the water volume for fish only (FOWLR) and twenty times if you are keeping corals. That being said, the 280 gph from the filter would be sufficient water movement if you are only keeping fish. The additional powerheads would give you more than enough flow for corals if that was where you intended to go.

Back
Top Bottom