Requirements for T5 lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I've been at my local hardware store (don't get me wrong, they're a HUGE international chain) and I noticed they've really upped the range and style of T5 lights you can buy.

It got me wondering if any of them could be used for the aquarium scene, so I was wondering what I need to check for to ensure it's safe and beneficial for aquariums.

Does anyone know?

:bandit:

Not sure exactly what your considering?

Buying a complete fixture?

Or just bulbs and parts to make your own setup?

Yeah making my own setup. To get a t5 for my tank is like $800 last i checked. Rediculous.

Just as expensive.. I think I am really just wanting to know what are the requirements for the lights to be suitable, particularly the spectrum and Kelvin.

Generally 5,000K to 10,000K bulbs are what your looking for as far as Kelvin rating. Although this is just as generic as the WPG rule, as the spectrum is more important but plants are overall very adaptable.

Well what about the coral and other inverts like anemones? Are you saying that the spectrum doesn't matter?

I actually recall a quite scientific article once that basically said that any spectrum is OK as long as it is intensive enough and made reference to the colour as only a means of personal preference and desired "look" of the aquarium. It even mentioned that having a pink coloured light is fine, as long as it has the intensity.

Does that seem right?

You are mainly looking for PAR, just as you would in other lighting needs. What size tank do you have (dimensions)? Are you looking to keep coral or just wanting T-5's just because?

Really just to keep an anemone and some somewhat low light corals or inverts. I don't want any corals that are high maintenance and high light. I also like the idea of the ripples on the sand but I am aware the T5s are not as comparable to MH directionals.

Standard 3 foot tank.

One other thing to consider:

Hardware store T5's are normal output. Fishy lights are High output (T5HO). You want the T5HO for the intensity & compactness. I've only seen a couple of T5HO's at the local hardware store, but the price is double that of the usual T5's, (as much as the retrofit kits on the net.)

As a reference, T5HO's are 54W for the 4 foot lengths. NO are around 28-30W.

I would suggest looking at hellolights.com or any of several other online stores. TEK is top notch IMO, it is what I use. A TEK retro kit for a 4' tank is about $118 ballast, reflectors, wiring, end caps, basically everything you need less the bulbs. BTW that is for a 2x54w kit. I'm not sure what the smaller versions go for but I would guess a little less then the 4'.

Back
Top Bottom