Superfish Aquaflow 200 makes too much vibration noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morfildor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello friends,

I'm a complete beginner in this hobby. 2 days ago, I bought the Superfish Tropical 70 starter kit.

I set it up as instructed and did all the water and bacteria treatment with the added solutions. Everything looked perfect but the pump makes a vibration noise. I disassembled it to see if I can add any paddings near the motor. But not. It makes my whole aquarium vibrate and the noise is about to make me insane.

I'm thinking of buying a new silent quality filter. I have two questions. I tried to search my problem but as a newcomer I'm overwhelmed with the information.

1- What filter would you recommend? I'm living in the Netherlands but I'm pretty sure everything is reachable. I'm leaning towards Eheim Pickup 160. But it's only a sponge basically. My filter had activated carbon inside the sponge. I don't even know if I need it at this point.

2- I used the added Bacto Start to the sponge inside the filter as instructed in the manual. If I change the pump, do I have to re-add it to the filter? or is it already in the water and it should be fine ?

Any help would be much appreciated. As a beginner I'm completely overwhelmed with the options and thinks to consider. I no longer believe I will have the right decision about the issue.

Hi I have 3 aquaflow filters in 2 off my tanks and really like them. How do you have it positioned in your tank? Is the impeller correctly fitted inside?

Hi. I installed it as instructed. It started making the noise within the first 2 hours. It's vibrating the whole aquarium. From a google search, I've found out that lots of people had this issue. I tried the following;

-Shutting it off for few minutes in case of a trapped bubble

-Cleaning it completely. (It makes the noise when I put it in the water without attaching to the aquarium. Also I removed the bottom part and the top motor part makes the vibration in my hand too)

-Turning it upside down and running for few minutes.

This is a quick video demonstrating the sound.

And this is a photo of my aquarium. No fish yet.

If the filter really is that noisy and you want to replace it, I would suggest a sponge filter or a Seachem Tidal 55 for your 70 liter tank. Fill it with 10 and 20 ppi foam or just simple pot scrubbies and you are all set.

If I buy the filter you recommend, I can't add the top cap of the aquarium.

Would you recommend Eheim Pick up 160 ?

It only have a sponge inside. Would that be enough for the tank ? I only have plastic plants in the aquarium.

And also, do I have to add the bacteria solution again with the new filter?

If I buy the filter you recommend, I can't add the top cap of the aquarium.

Would you recommend Eheim Pick up 160 ?

It only have a sponge inside. Would that be enough for the tank ? I only have plastic plants in the aquarium.

And also, do I have to add the bacteria solution again with the new filter?
If you want to stay with an internal filter, that should be fine. Since the tank is so new not much bacteria has been created but you can move any media over to the new filter.

Thanks for the information. Today I came back from work and the noise is gone. It fixed itself. Such a nice surprise :)

Back
Top Bottom