T5- Which bulbs to choose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steg22

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have the all pond solutions t5 twin light unit, is it better to go for 2x growth bulbs, 2x 10,000k white or a mixture?

thanks

I'm gonna say that up to your viewing pleasure and your plants. Most of us look for bulbs in the 5k-10k range, with 6500k being optimal. Depending on your plants, you may need more or less in the spectrum. I do a mix and my tank seems to be healthy, but my tank has no plants that require special lighting needs.

Moved to General Hardware/Equipment Discussion.

14K is used fairly frequently in SW tanks and will look more blue than the 10Ks. However, it's totally dependent on brand, like a 14K bulb from Brand A may look quite a bit different than a 14K from Brand B, and so on.

thanks! but what about on a tropical tank? is 14k a bit excessive? whats best for bringing out the colours in my rams, while not effecting the plant growth?

I usually choose 10Ks (these are supposed to look "white") but some people prefer 6500Ks because they think the 10Ks look too blue. It's really just a matter of personal preference so whatever you like in that general range should work fine.

Back
Top Bottom