which filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My vote is for a Canister like the Fluval 305 ... more than enough filtration for a 46, easy to set up, quiet and allows you to set up the media trays the way you want.

I have a flurval 40g tank which came with the 205 external filter. Really good filter easy to use and got those separate trays. Would defiantly go with the 305. When mine packs up I'll be upgrading to that model or equivalent at the time.

thats a bit too expenzie. im looking for something $80 and under... i thought the HOB filter is up to 50 gallons?

Opps ... sorry ... The C3 is rated for 50gal, the C2 for 30gal. However, a C3 is still not adequate IMO. You want a filter that can handle more than the volume of your tank and a 50gal capacity is to similar to your tank. You basically want a filter to handle a 75gal tank. That should provide more than enough filtration ... basically your looking for a gph to be at least 5x the volume of your tank.

Opps ... sorry ... The C3 is rated for 50gal, the C2 for 30gal. However, a C3 is still not adequate IMO. You want a filter that can handle more than the volume of your tank and a 50gal capacity is to similar to your tank. You basically want a filter to handle a 75gal tank. That should provide more than enough filtration ... basically your looking for a gph to be at least 5x the volume of your tank.

anything suitable on the petsmart link thats $80 or under?

This one here Aqua Clear Power Filters by Hagen - Fish - Sale Category - PetSmart will be more than enough as is and can be improved by removing the carbon and replacing with a second sponge insert. Save the carbon for some time when you need to remove meds or something, don't use it regularly.
AC filters have been around for a long time, the sponges last for years, and they are very easy to clean.

Petsmart sells the Aquaclear filters in the stores but you won't be changing out the filters. You just rinse in tank water when they get dirty and reuse them. You only replace them when they are falling apart.

IMO .. skip petsmart's site and go to sites like amazon. You can get some nice deals on the filters we've discussed. However another option is the Aquaclear 110 ... it's an HOB like the C3 but with higher capacity and a good deal on amazon.

Amazon.com: AquaClear 110 Aquarium Power Filter - for 60 to 110 Gallon: Kitchen & Dining

+1... I am shopping for a canister right now and found amazons pricing to be 2/3 the petsmart and petco prices... With amazons guarantees it makes good $$ sense....

Petsmart sells the Aquaclear filters in the stores but you won't be changing out the filters. You just rinse in tank water when they get dirty and reuse them. You only replace them when they are falling apart.

+1 again... too many people dont realize this and spend a lot of $$ they dont need to... plus they lose that beneficial bacteria when the filter goes into the trash...

:fish2:

+1 ... You don't change filter cartridges unless it's literally falling apart ... and then you use the old media to seed the replacement. An established filter cartridge is like gold with the BB it contains.

+1 ... You don't change filter cartridges unless it's literally falling apart ... and then you use the old media to seed the replacement. An established filter cartridge is like gold with the BB it contains.

So u just buy a filter and hats it? U don't have to do anyjing?

So u just buy a filter and hats it? U don't have to do anyjing?

That's idea when you have an established tank. The only thing you should have to do with the cartridge is rinse it with the tank water you remove during a PWC. Re-insert in the filter and your good to go. No need to replace monthly ... no need to buy chemicals to keep the water conditions good .... etc etc etc. Just PWC's, a good cartridge rinsing monthly (DO NOT let the cartridge dry out!) and a good de-chlorinator like seachem prime's is really all you should need.

The hard part is establishing the BB ... once you have them, you do not want to lose or toss that filter cartridge.

Aquaclear makes nice reliable filters for over 20 years, have one that's 20 odd years old and is still currently running as I'm typing this, never replaced a part and it has a massive space for completely custom media, IMO they are the best HOB the fluval C3 isn't a bad option either my friend has one and it's wicked but no space for extra media but it doesn't seem to need it, she has on a 30 though, she runs a whisper 70 on her 55 which seems pretty sweet, but again limited with extra space, seems like every makers goin the way of sleek looks and ability to get close to a wall

Back
Top Bottom