Angels breeding what do I do?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've never bred angels before and the female is laying them on my magnetic algae cleaner! What do I do? Can someone explain the steps I have to take from here!? They are in a community tank with 2 gouramis, 5-10 guppys and a male balloon molly!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you so much that helped me out a lot! Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No problem. I'm glad to help. Tell me how those eggs turn out! Don't be discouraged if it takes a few spawns. :)

I sure will! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok so a quick update and some questions. Only about 3 of my eggs a are fertile, they are an amber color and are starting to get tails. But the other 90 or so are white and fuzzy. I know this means the eggs are unfertilized but aren't the parents suppose to eat them? Will the white fuzzy eggs hurt my other eggs? Will it harm the fish in my tank?

Also they are in a community tank and I'm afraid that when the fry are free swimming they will be eaten! Any suggestions on how to separate them or should i separate them?

Well you can net them out if you have a cycled filter for them. The white eggs are unfertilized or have a fungus (they usually attack the dead cells in the unfertilized eggs) so vacuum those out so they don't spread the fungus to the viable eggs.

You can leave them, but they may be eaten by their own parents. Like I said earlier, Angels take a while to get the hang of being good parents XD

However, you can net them out into a tank with similar parameters and raise them there. That is the safest bet but you should do some research on how to do it.

You have actually learned the first few of several lessons one should learn before wanting to spawn angels and raise the fry. My first angel spawn was over 500 eggs. I was able to pull and hatch them since they were in a community tank. The problem is in a matter of weeks one needs a lot of tank space to raise angels. Angel breeders I know suggest having 2 x 55 gal growout tanks for each spawning pair of mature angels. Their spawns usually get bigger with time and they can spawn every 10-14 days.

They really need to be started on live food. I found I could ween them over to frozen started at about the 0 day point and having them there 100% in under a week. I ran two jugs for hatching bbs for this.

You are better off pulling the eggs than trying to wait for wigglers or free swimmers. Sorry, I am a poor photographer (esp when these were taken:
i-Cs68n97-M.jpg

Becomes

i-s7VVt8S-M.jpg

Here is another kink to an excellent article on angels including breeding and raising fry. Fish Information Service

Oh yes- many fish, including angels, will eat their eggs or wigglers if they think something else they cannot drive away will. Better they get the nutrition than an interloper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom