Julii cories eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazyfishlady77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 julii cories, 5 neon tetras and 2 otocinclus catfish in my 20 gallon planted tank. My cories have been showing breeding behavior and sometimes I find a few eggs. From what I have read cories lay at least 20 eggs on the glass, plants etc, but I only see a couple of eggs here and there. Is it possible that the other fish are eating the eggs before I can see them? Is there anything I can do to encourage more eggs being laid and how can I find them faster?
Thanks!

When my Corys lay eggs and the other fish eat them there is still a residue , a spot if you will , where the egg was . I have to scrape them off when I clean the glasses . If you don't see that then they are laying on plants,rocks,etc or they are just not laying that many eggs .

Thanks. I have noticed that residue on the glass where I found a couple of eggs once. Also the eggs she’s laying have all turned white, which means the eggs aren’t fertilized. Hmm, don’t know what to do about that?

My Julii cory's lay only a few eggs (5ish) at a time. My female JUST came into maturity tho.

Ive gotten about 18 frys but only have 4 left due to issues with my breeder net falling into the tank and my other fish having a tiny snack. Really upsetting but it happens.

Its a good idea to make a breeders net with acrylic yarn. The cory's love laying their eggs in those, then you just move the net to your breeder net or other tank for the eggs to hatch. Keep moving water over the eggs though so fungus doesnt attack them. You are right about white eggs. Just keep an eye out cause thats on your males if the eggs are white. They may not be ready yet but your female is.

Here is a picture of a breeder net, google how to make them.
aEQDKzg.jpg

Heres my little group before they became food :(
yPaFctT.jpg

Heres a video I got of one of my eggs, you can see its heartbeat and its tail flick at the end.
https://i.imgur.com/ogPrOMt.mp4

My Julii cory's lay only a few eggs (5ish) at a time. My female JUST came into maturity tho.

Ive gotten about 18 frys but only have 4 left due to issues with my breeder net falling into the tank and my other fish having a tiny snack. Really upsetting but it happens.

Its a good idea to make a breeders net with acrylic yarn. The cory's love laying their eggs in those, then you just move the net to your breeder net or other tank for the eggs to hatch. Keep moving water over the eggs though so fungus doesnt attack them. You are right about white eggs. Just keep an eye out cause thats on your males if the eggs are white. They may not be ready yet but your female is.

Here is a picture of a breeder net, google how to make them.

aEQDKzg.jpg

Heres my little group before they became food :(

yPaFctT.jpg

Heres a video I got of one of my eggs, you can see its heartbeat and its tail flick at the end.

https://i.imgur.com/ogPrOMt.mp4

They are so cool!! I’m so jelly!! Good ideas all around!! I got an egg tumbler and it works well for getting moving water around the eggs. Now those men need to stop shooting blanks!! Ha ha

Well she needs to find the right one to suck off!

I have 6 corys in my tank. I only know for sure one is female since shes plump and has been laying the eggs. Hopefully I have one more female that just hasnt reached maturity yet but its kinda doubtful. Mine are still fairly young.

It might not hurt to pick up 2 more corys if you want to breed some. Just as long as they arent two females lol.

Well she needs to find the right one to suck off!

I have 6 corys in my tank. I only know for sure one is female since shes plump and has been laying the eggs. Hopefully I have one more female that just hasnt reached maturity yet but its kinda doubtful. Mine are still fairly young.

It might not hurt to pick up 2 more corys if you want to breed some. Just as long as they arent two females lol.

I was just thinking that too. My quarantine tank is fully cycled!! It’s a challenge to figure out which is male and female at my LFS. So I think it’s a crap shoot as to what you get. It’s easy to say females are fatter (now this is fat shaming the girl fish), but picking out the right sex as they are swimming around is very challenging.

FYI those of you with Julii cats almost certainly have
Corydoras trilineatus
3 Lined Cory.

C. julii are quite rare in most areas. But they are sold as julii since they look similiar.

True julii have very fine spots, not reticulated lines and their nose is very rounded.

https://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/c_trilineatus.htm

I fail to see why you felt it important enough to point this out and yet didn’t address my actual concern.

I fail to see why you felt it important enough to point this out and yet didn’t address my actual concern.

I think since you want to breed it’s important to know what species you own, so you can optimize conditions for that particular species.

Cories often eat their own eggs as well as other fish.

I grow some dense mats of java fern and susswasertag in my 55g I assume that helps my fry to hide out.

My C. Sterbai breed in my tank and I see juveniles appear here n there

Back
Top Bottom