New Platy, and Possibly Pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey man, great post!
I've had my 25g for a while. My sister has like an 3g I think? Anyway, she had an Platy and an Molly in there, and guess what? Babies! Platy gave birth during water change (she was in an bucket, didn't know she was pregnant). So I put the Platy and Molly in my tank, and left the fry in my sisters tank. There was about 40 of them. That was a few months ago! 2 of them got big real quickly, so they are in my tank now (mother and father died along the way) Now there are about 8 of them left in my sister's tank, but they aren't growing too well. Hopefully they will survive.

Hey thanks! Welcome to the group :) Feel free to share some pictures. And sorry to hear about your losses.. Hopefully you're able save those last few fry!

The first few days I put some flakes in an plastic bag and crushed it into powder. After that I've just crushed the flakes up real good in my hand. Has your platy popped yet??

The first few days I put some flakes in an plastic bag and crushed it into powder. After that I've just crushed the flakes up real good in my hand. Has your platy popped yet??

That's cool. Have you ever thought of trying out Hikari first bites? I'm no expert, but from what I've read they seem to be a pretty popular choice to ensure proper fry development. Not saying what you're doing is wrong or bad though lol. And nah man, she hasnt dropped yet. Haha the more days that pass, the more anxious I get though

Well sad news I can home and after losing all of my adults the babies are gone now too. Haven't figured out what happened but I'm working on it.

Check your water parameters. Maybe too much ammonia from the flakes???

I use Hikari First bites.

Crushed with the back of a spoon, Micro Bites as well, I will add them in as the tiny babies get older and then continue. Reduce the First Bites as they get larger, still crushing the Micro Bites. Till they are juniors and their mouths are big enough. ;)

I have Rainbow Blue Platy. Had the same thing pretty much happen to me got 6 and had at least 3 batches of fry! They ate most of them but ended up 23 total.

Have 7 of the original group of fry and now just found 6 more fry a week or 2 ago! Have been finding homes for them! lol lfs said .50 each credit for 3/4 to 1" size. :rolleyes:

That's cool. Have you ever thought of trying out Hikari first bites? I'm no expert, but from what I've read they seem to be a pretty popular choice to ensure proper fry development. Not saying what you're doing is wrong or bad though lol. And nah man, she hasnt dropped yet. Haha the more days that pass, the more anxious I get though

No I havn't tried that. Thanks for the suggestion! My lfs ain't to great though. I think I'm just going to care for them more properly. Feed them at least twice a day and so on, rather than leaving them for my little sister haha. Be sure to post some pics when you get your fry! It's a real cool thing to see when the fry pop out, and they just keep coming! I'll try to get some pics uploaded asap

Here are some pics! The 2 big platy's are bigger than my neons and x-rar tetra. All came from the same batch of fry

Attachments

• IMG-20130911-00885.jpg
    IMG-20130911-00885.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-20130911-00887.jpg
    IMG-20130911-00887.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 71
No I havn't tried that. Thanks for the suggestion! My lfs ain't to great though. I think I'm just going to care for them more properly. Feed them at least twice a day and so on, rather than leaving them for my little sister haha. Be sure to post some pics when you get your fry! It's a real cool thing to see when the fry pop out, and they just keep coming! I'll try to get some pics uploaded asap

+1 to what Autumnsky said. Check your params and make sure they're where they should be.

And no problem. Lol sounds like a plan. And thanks for sharing your pics! I'm still waiting for mine to drop, but I'll definitely be sharing the second I see some fry swimming around :D

Shes definitely looking close

Hey BlazedSaint, long time no post. How are your platies doing? Any more fry yet? Lol I'm STILL waiting on mine to drop, but she's looking bigger and squarer everyday. Here's some pics I just took. Sorry for the bad quality..

ForumRunner_20130912_191130.jpg

ForumRunner_20130912_191157.jpg

Indeed has been awhile been busy busy : ) Im dealing with an algae bloom : ( so I'm not sure if there are babies or not but I'm hoping not yet, UV sterilizer should be here any day so hoping no babies till then at least

Thats very understandable. Hopefully that UV sterilizer gets there soon. Wouldn't want the fry to get eaten if she drops and you're not able to seperate them! That would be pretty sad..

And I hope so, now that I've had more time to prepare. Haha the way I see it is, the more fry there are, the better the chances I'll end up with some that look like her :)

And I hope so, now that I've had more time to prepare. Haha the way I see it is, the more fry there are, the better the chances I'll end up with some that look like her :)

indeed, she is an awesome color strain! after clearing up my bloom im going to see who's still heads up(hoping everyone) ive only lost 1 fish to the bloom so far but im going to try to replace the lost platy with a topsail like that one, but did a good size water change and so far everyone else is ok except for the one platy

Back
Top Bottom