New Platy, and Possibly Pregnant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
indeed, she is an awesome color strain! after clearing up my bloom im going to see who's still heads up(hoping everyone) ive only lost 1 fish to the bloom so far but im going to try to replace the lost platy with a topsail like that one, but did a good size water change and so far everyone else is ok except for the one platy

Thanks. And sorry you lost a fish already. Hopefully everything turns out alright for you. But right on! Should be a nice addition to your tank :)

Thanks. And sorry you lost a fish already. Hopefully everything turns out alright for you. But right on! Should be a nice addition to your tank :)

Indeed its sad, but after starving the algae of light for 2 days and doing some big water changes the last few days the tank has mostly cleared up and platys is still pregs

Forgive the intrusion, but anyone have a link to good info on live bearer pregnancy times and such? What little I've found so far seems a cross between medieval alchemy and gypsy fortune telling.

Forgive the intrusion, but anyone have a link to good info on live bearer pregnancy times and such? What little I've found so far seems a cross between medieval alchemy and gypsy fortune telling.

Walklong, there is no way of telling exactly how far along your live bearing fish is, but as stated here, http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/200198-the-stages-of-a-guppy-pregnancy-and-more/ "the average guppy pregnancy lasts between 3-5 weeks depending on various conditions in the tank, the amount of fry she is carrying, and her age/size etc."

There is also has some good information on the different stages that your pregnant, live bearing fish will go through if you click the link above. Hope this helps

Thank you - I'm managing three fw tanks, two cold water natives (29T - 20L) and a 10 with tropicals. The info is a big help. (The 10, of course is the problem child.)

What up! Got my sterilzer yesterday and it actually attaches to my pump but after 24 hours of running the UV my tank is crystal clear! And I can see one of my platys hasn't birthed yet also seems my blue half moon platys finally did the buisness because she's looking pump again(she was the one who lost her last batch to the filter)

What up! Got my sterilzer yesterday and it actually attaches to my pump but after 24 hours of running the UV my tank is crystal clear! And I can see one of my platys hasn't birthed yet also seems my blue half moon platys finally did the buisness because she's looking pump again(she was the one who lost her last batch to the filter)

Nice, glad to hear. Haha that sunburst platy looks huge!

Saw this lil guy eating some flake food today he's no bigger than a piece of gravel but he's the only surviver

ForumRunner_20130924_183341.jpg

Ah man! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll have some better luck with your next group of fry.

Haha I can't believe I'm still waiting for mine to drop.

ForumRunner_20130924_165700.jpg

Its all good I don't want weak fish so I'm literally only looking to keep 1 or two from each batch to until I get the color strains I want then I'll start trying to keep more

Its all good I don't want weak fish so I'm literally only looking to keep 1 or two from each batch to until I get the color strains I want then I'll start trying to keep more

Yea, I get what you mean about not wanting weak fry and what you're doing is probably the easiest way to go about it. But I don't know though. I think I'm still gonna try to save as many as I can. Haha since I have a pretty good start already by having tons of plants for the fry to hide in and a seperate tank ready for mom after she drops, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Hey guys, it's been a while. How are things going? Any fry yet?

Oddly enough I've yet to see any.. It's been almost 2 months now and I'm a little confused because from what I've researched says the average live bearer pregnancy only lasts about a month. She still looks pregnant and square, but doesnt look as big as she used to and her gravid spot seems to be shrinking? Anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on?

Edit: Also, she (my platy) almost never comes out of hiding anymore and always "runs" for cover if I go any where near the tank. Is there a explanation for this or do I just have a shy platy? I thought I read somewhere that when a pregnant platy is close to giving birth they tend to hide a lot, but she's been like this for about 2 weeks now.

Hey guys, it's been a while. How are things going? Any fry yet?

Oddly enough I've yet to see any.. It's been almost 2 months now and I'm a little confused because from what I've researched says the average live bearer pregnancy only lasts about a month. She still looks pregnant and square, but doesnt look as big as she used to and her gravid spot seems to be shrinking? Anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on?

They can hide really well. You might be surprised and find some that didn't get eaten.

They can hide really well. You might be surprised and find some that didn't get eaten.

Thanks for the fast reply, but I'm positive there aren't any fry in there. I can honestly say I've spent hours gazing into that tank looking for fry over the past couple weeks and haven't seen any! I even moved all the plants around, but still, nothing. I mean, I guess it's possible that she did already give birth and just ate all the fry, but why does she still look pregnant?

Thanks for the fast reply, but I'm positive there aren't any fry in there. I can honestly say I've spent hours gazing into that tank looking for fry over the past couple weeks and haven't seen any! I even moved all the plants around, but still, nothing. I mean, I guess it's possible that she did already give birth and just ate all the fry, but why does she still look pregnant?

Mine look preggo most of the time, especially as they get to full size! I think they are kinda built squarish like bulldogs, lol.

But if you have moved all the stuff around and don't see any fry, they were probably eaten.

I can't remember, but how many Platy do you have in there?

My Green Sword always had a darkish spot on her gravid area but there was only one Sword, and she did have babies after I brought her home, but no others as far as I could tell.

Mine look preggo most of the time, especially as they get to full size! I think they are kinda built squarish like bulldogs, lol.

But if you have moved all the stuff around and don't see any fry, they were probably eaten.

I can't remember, but how many Platy do you have in there?

My Green Sword always had a darkish spot on her gravid area but there was only one Sword, and she did have babies after I brought her home, but no others as far as I could tell.

Ignore this message. Accidentally pressed send. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom