10 gal. betta tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaKing

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone! I have a 10 gal. that is a soon-to-be bettas home. And I was wondering. What could put in there? I know of some things, and I want this tank to be interesting. I already am the happy "father" of 5 bettas so I know the betta care requirements. Well anyway any suggestions are appreciated! :)

some african dwarf frogs(2-5),and some neon tetras.or you could do a betta sorority.

Dwarf cories or ember tetras. I generally just keep the betta by himself in a nicely planted ten gallon.

BettaKing said:
Oh yeah it WILL be cycled haha sorry, forgot to put that!

No prob, just checking! Lol. Anyway, this is my stocking for a 10 gallon betta tank I'm soon to be setting up:
6 neon tetras
3 ottos
2 African dwarf frogs
1 male betta
I'm also doing some ghost shrimp and a nerite snail to help with algae.

Platys are cool, just be careful with the colors around the betta. You could do something like this:
3 female platys
1 male platy
3 ottos
1 betta (female would work better w/platys)
Then maybe a nerite snail and some shrimp to top it all off?

I actually was doing a female Betta. I'm kinda scared to get female Platies because I've heard they are often pregnant when they are bought. And I don't want a Platy explosion! (I've seen it and I don't want one ;)) Also there might be 1-2 live plants, possibly not. Maybe Anacharis or java moss or fern, not sure which. Keep the suggestions coming! :D

BettaKing said:
I actually was doing a female Betta. I'm kinda scared to get female Platies because I've heard they are often pregnant when they are bought. And I don't want a Platy explosion! (I've seen it and I don't want one ;)) Also there might be 1-2 live plants, possibly not. Maybe Anacharis or java moss or fern, not sure which. Keep the suggestions coming! :D

Then just switch it to 4 male platys, and the rest stays lol. Anarchis, anubias nana, java moss, and java fern are the top 4 beginner plants.

Yup! It pretty much stocks all the areas. The bettas tend to stay around middle/top, platys take the top, and ottos, shrimp, and snails would take the bottom. Also, add the betta last to keep aggression minimal.

BettaKing said:
Great! Maybe not the snail though, too much poop :p. So with 4 Platies, 3 Ottos, 1 betta and a few ghost shrimp(4-5) how much % of water would I change weekly?

I do a 50% weekly on all my tanks, and am running an AC30 on my ten gallon filter wise. No matter which filter though, 50% is really the standard around here.

No prob! My only demand... pictures when you get it set up!!! Lol. Good luck with the tank man!

Back
Top Bottom