10 gal for a teacher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
K so I set up a 10 gal for one of my teachers, she was so happy. I want to put some fish in there to get it cycled but she can't buy fish due to time restraints and I can brig in fish but they are teteras and another fish idk what it is. The fish are a year old and are happy and fat, are black skirt teteras of to put into the tank to let it cycle

The filter media is new and
So is the water, the decor is the same old stuff just cleaned and rearrranged

How can I tell with my tests if the tank is ready for the fish? I wanted to do a fish less cycle bit need this tank that the fish ate coming from empty as I would like to finnaly restock it

Bubbles0oO said:
K so I set up a 10 gal for one of my teachers, she was so happy. I want to put some fish in there to get it cycled but she can't buy fish due to time restraints and I can brig in fish but they are teteras and another fish idk what it is. The fish are a year old and are happy and fat, are black skirt teteras of to put into the tank to let it cycle

The filter media is new and
So is the water, the decor is the same old stuff just cleaned and rearrranged

How can I tell with my tests if the tank is ready for the fish? I wanted to do a fish less cycle bit need this tank that the fish ate coming from empty as I would like to finnaly restock it

My guess is the tank needs to be cycled again. Especially if all the old stuff has been cleaned and the filter is new. That's what I got from your oddly worded question haha

Are you going to be the person maintaining this tank for said teacher or is she going to have to do it?

Since this is in a classroom, and no one has access to it 24/7, I suggest you show your teacher how responsible you can be by doing a FISHLESS cycle. Read up on it first so you can walk in and be able to answer any question she has. That way no fish will be accidentally harmed by a toxin spike over the weekend.

Ok I'm sorry lol here I go

My teacher has a 10 g tank
It was in a sad state for awhile
I fixed it up and put fresh water in it
Not I want to put some fish on it
I have 3 blackskirt tetras and 2 unknown fish
I'd like to restock the tank they are in right now
So I'd like to give the fish to her
How do I know of the tank is cycled
How do I make it so I can add the fish?

Again I apologize for the spelling and punctuation mistakes I'm on my it ouch and it's just plain retarded lol

Bubbles0oO said:
Ok I'm sorry lol here I go

My teacher has a 10 g tank
It was in a sad state for awhile
I fixed it up and put fresh water in it
Not I want to put some fish on it
I have 3 blackskirt tetras and 2 unknown fish
I'd like to restock the tank they are in right now
So I'd like to give the fish to her
How do I know of the tank is cycled
How do I make it so I can add the fish?

Again I apologize for the spelling and punctuation mistakes I'm on my it ouch and it's just plain retarded lol

Ok, you need to read up on cycling a tank. Check the stickies in the "Getting Started" forum. There is a ton of info in there.

It would also be good to know what these unknown fish are. Post a pic if you can and maybe someone can ID it for you.

blert said:
Are you going to be the person maintaining this tank for said teacher or is she going to have to do it?

Since this is in a classroom, and no one has access to it 24/7, I suggest you show your teacher how responsible you can be by doing a FISHLESS cycle. Read up on it first so you can walk in and be able to answer any question she has. That way no fish will be accidentally harmed by a toxin spike over the weekend.

+1 on fishless cycle. No one will be in the classroom for the weekends or evenings/nights. If the ammonia or nitrites spiked it could be devastating. I did a fish in cycle and had to do partial water changes daily. Definitely read the link mumma.of.2 posted. It helped me out ALOT! And then when I had specific questions arise the people here were able to help me. :)

Looks a lot like a Sissortail Rasbora to me.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile.php?genus=Rasbora&species=trilineata&id=989

Unfortunately, neither of these two species would I consider appropriate for a ten gallon tank. The Sissortail Rasbora is full grown at six inches and needs a school of six or better. The Black Skirt Tetras can reach about two and a half inches and also need a school of six or better. Both have requirements much greater than a ten gallon tank can supply. Your teacher will have major issues with these fish in that small of a tank.

Pfft I'm so jealous you get to do this for your teacher! One of mine keeps sw at home but not in the classroom.

If you want something different that will really wow the class, just a couple kuhli loaches would be really cool.

Not so sure I would go with Kuhli Loaches. They can reach four inches and should, ideally, be kept in a group of no less than three.

Maybe a selection of nano fish...
http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm
Those Mini Moth Cats look super cool, I might have to order some for myself. :)

Or maybe a single male Betta and a few Habrosus Cories.

So your aware with platies they like to breed. First couple fry batches in my 10g got quickly dispatched, but since then they keep surviving. Seems like once every month and half my larger female is pregnant again. You might wanna stick with males or females. It is somewhat easy to sex them. The males will have a smaller thin aft fin near their anus, while the females have a fin there but it looks more like the two fins further up on their belly.

Yea I'll go with the platys, I am illy aware of the fry hehe and will just take the fry I can get out of the tank, my teacher Dosent care, I would also take the fish home during the summer so they don't die, so pretty much I get another 10 gal tank! Lol

Also when would it be safe to add plants? Mine are growing like crazy and I have a lot of clippings that are tanking root

Back
Top Bottom