10 gal planted lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a ten gal tank with seachem flourite substrate. It's planted with red tiger lotus, java fern, amazon swords, water wisteria and anibias nana. I currently have a single t8 fixture that came with the tank. It's been growing the swords okay, but I wanted to upgrade. I got the dual t5 for my 28 gal but it runs hot. I am looking for another option that doesn't run so hot in such a small tank. The tank has 4 African dwarf frogs so I can't leave the top off to deal with heating issues either.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I only have a 6 gallon and I went and bought a thick band of led lights by marine land. Pretty expensive .. But they light up so bright and clear and produce absolutely no heat. Great for plants that need alpt of light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How handy are you? I gutted my t8 and put 2 sockets in there, now running 2 13 watt 5000k cfls, excellent results.. i have a build thread if you're interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can also buy a hood that can house two 10w or 13w CFLs for a significant amount of light. They're usually pretty reasonably priced.

Could you post a link for the build thread Brookster123? I don't know whether I'll ever do it myself, but I'd like to read more about peiple's diy tank and equipment modification.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could replace the CFL bulbs with LED bulbs. I just found out that walmart is carrying a 5000k to 6500k LED bulb. LED is supposed to give off very little heat. Another site, dx.com has a lot of 6500k bulbs in different socket types and configurations. I am going to order from both places to compare bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom