10 gallon Build/ Journey Thread :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im not sure yet. I was thinking about this:

5 amano shrimp
5 RCS
6 CPD's
2 endlers
1 sparkling gourami.

Hey i have a similar planted tank 10G too, urs looking great cant wait to see those fish and shrimps. How long is ur tank and ur fixture?

Nice, my tank is ~17inch. Im planning to buy a fixture like urs. Do you have any medium- high light plant in your tank and are they growing well?

They are mostly all Medium light plants (thats the highest kind of plant It can support) And they are all growing great, I think better than they were at the fish store.

Im dosing with florish excel 2-3 times a week.

More pics!!

If the plants are growing fast, you may start bottoming out on nutrients. Again, the LED thing is newer so it is hard to gauge. You may want to start dosing at least a trace mix and some potassium. There are a few out there like api leafzone and tetra florapride that combine potassium and iron/trace elements. Petsmart usually will have one or the other. The flourish comprehensive is good too but sometimes harder to find.

The other thing to keep an eye on as the tank matures a bit is nitrate. Again if the plants are growing fast it is very possible you could find yourself bottoming out on N. If this is the case you may have to supplement with N as well. Flourish makes a liquid N supplement or the cheapest in the long run would be to start looking at dry ferts. Http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com is a good source.

Not saying any of it is a requirement yet... But it might be something you start reading up on, and looking for excess algae growth and nutrient deficiencies as you move forward, just in case!

Keep up the good work!

Heres a pic I took yesterday. I totally forgot that I could upload from my phone :p sorry people.

Attachments

• 2011-01-28 13.44.02.jpg
    2011-01-28 13.44.02.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 150
Looking good. Seems like ur tank is lid free? Is that better for plants.

Thanks guys. Im not sure how the no lid benefits the plants, but thats how the light fixture was made. And the 10 gallon had no lid, I got it from the fish store for $2.50 (.25 cents per gallon) , It was a deal! :)

Yeah, thats the good thing about my LFS, they are really cheap with there used tanks, but not there new or starter tanks kits are not. A 75 gallon tank there (if using the 25 cents per gallon) would be $18.75 :D

*Update*

I tested today and they read:

Ph: 7.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0-5 (Not on zero [yellow] and not on 5 [light orange] , but an in-between number, so that means the nitrates are coming up! Yay! :D

Back
Top Bottom