10 gallon fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyfinns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
10 gallon fish options?

I have a 10 gallon. I don't know what type of fish I want because I have done so much research that I can't decide. I am looking for colorful freshwater tropical fish that are unusual. Although I love bettas, guppies, platies, etc. I would like something different. If a fish you have in mind has to live alone, that's fine by me. I would also appreciate any info on a fish you suggest. I will do further research but to get started I would like you guys to help me:) thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I once kept a freshwater puffer in a 10 gallon tank. He ate every snail in the tank! Really cool fish, but aggressive so they should be kept alone.

They make a lot of waste too don't they?

Thank you for the link. I will consider it although my tank is already set up without soil..

Maybe a dwarf gourami? They are one of my favs or some neon tetra or maybe some african dwarf frogs (not a fish but they are really fascinating to watch).

Cories, Dwarf Gouramis, Amano Shrimp, Peacock Gudgeon,Tiger barbs and Banjo Catfish are all good choices.

Another vote for Peacock Gudgeon. Very different, very mellow, friendly, not shy, and mine eat just about anything I offer them. They are colorful in a pleasing, pastel type of way. Lovely. I wish I'd discovered them a long time ago.

Another vote for Peacock Gudgeon. Very different, very mellow, friendly, not shy, and mine eat just about anything I offer them. They are colorful in a pleasing, pastel type of way. Lovely. I wish I'd discovered them a long time ago.

How big do they get? Could I keep multiple males in the same tank? Are males more colorful than the females? Thanks

Some of these options were mentioned before, but here is a list trying to exclude the ones you said no to:
Celestial pearl danio, chili rasbora, green neon, ember tetra, different species of betta (there are tons more than just the splendens you see in the cups), sparkling gourami, honey gourami, clown killifsh, norman's lampeye killifish, mosquito fish, bumble bee goby (one species doe well in fw, one does not so be careful), scarlet badis, pygmy sunfish, Endler's livebearers, shell dwelling cichlid, dwarf cories, panda garra, dwarf anchor catfish, dwarf emerald rabora, many colors and varieties of dwarf shrimp, nerite snails, and a bunch more nano schoolers I am forgetting to mention.

Definitely not tiger barbs or banjo catfish.

In my opinion, the female Peacock Gudgeons are as attractive as the males. Just as colorful. And they don't have the big "lump" on their foreheads, lol. I find it kind of strange looking.

The males can get pretty pushy with the females at breeding time, and they do fight other males, but from what I've read so far, they rarely do a lot of damage. I wouldn't keep more than a male and 2-3 females to start, just to see how things go. I have not bred them myself. But I think they are distinctive because they are not your normal everyday fish. I think they're fascinating, both in the friendly, mellow way they act (mine know me, and come up to the glass even if they are not hungry) and in their appearance. I've had one female before the three I have now, and she only lived about 5 months for me. I don't know if that was an isolated event, or if they don't do well long-term. I, for one, am totally sold on them.

Just read your original post to remind myself what size tank you have. Yeah, no more than 3 Peacock Gudgeons for a 10 gallon. Otherwise, the males might feel too cramped, and really fight badly. I'd have, like I said, a male and 2-3 females, and that's all for that size tank. Oh, you also asked about size. The maximum size for one is 3 inches, but I personally have not seen one over 2 inches. The males are larger than the females, but not by a great amount.

paradise fish if you can find took me a while to.get my hands on one

Sent from my LGMS323 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 on the sparking gouramis. Beautiful little fish.

You could do a couple of peacock gudgeons. They are different and not something you see everywhere. As was posted already corydoras are wonderful fish, especially the dwarf varieties.

Back
Top Bottom