10 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10gal_nano

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. My name is joe. I have a 55 gallon hexagon fresh water and I am starting a 10 gallon nano reef
Things I have
- filter
- tank
- jet to make current inside tank
- lid with screw in bulb fittings

Should I get an led light or get the REEFSUN 50/50 Mini Compact Fluorescent bulbs that screw in (x2) to fit in the top I already own? Thanks, joe

Upgrade the light, trust me you'll end up wanting more than just low light softies and that's all those cfl's will support

Upgrade the light, trust me you'll end up wanting more than just low light softies and that's all those cfl's will support

Ok. Which lights should I get. (Less than $40 would be great) there is a light strip on eBay that seems good. Should I go that way? Maybe both? Thanks. Joe

For less than $40 your not really gonna get a light that can grow many corals. Look at a par38 bulb with gooseneck lamp. Should run about $100.

Ya $40 isn't gonna do much. Agree on the par38's I'm currently trying one out on my new 10. It's been growing a birds nest pretty well for about a month ( was sure when I bought it that I would of had to move it to one of my sps tanks by now) so I'd have to say I'm impressed.
Edit: I'm using reefkoi.com 's par38 and just a $5 desk lamp from Walmart to mount it

Ya $40 isn't gonna do much. Agree on the par38's I'm currently trying one out on my new 10. It's been growing a birds nest pretty well for about a month ( was sure when I bought it that I would of had to move it to one of my sps tanks by now) so I'd have to say I'm impressed.
Edit: I'm using reefkoi.com 's par38 and just a $5 desk lamp from Walmart to mount it

Ah true you can use desk lamps for them. I just like the sleek look of the gooseneck a :)

Ya I was really just experimenting with the par38 so didn't get one right away but it's actually in the mail as we speak. But I figured if point out the other option for the op

Yeah it will definitely save some money. Those goosenecks are expensive lol

$80-$100 plus $30 for a gooseneck ( not required but really makes it look cleaner) and 1 bulb with 90* or 120* optics

What benefits do these have on the coral. I can get a 20,000k led strip for 25$ and a actinic for another $12 ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393357679.362132.jpg

What wattage LEDs are they using? I imagine that would give off narrow coverage, but have never seen that

The guy is a very trusted seller with no complaints. They are very high quality and last a long time.

Back
Top Bottom