10 gallon stock advise!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deadna

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey! So my younger sibling got a 10 gallon with everything to start it. It is cycling, and appears to be near the end. (Ammonia is at .25, nitrite at .25, and nitrate at .5) He REALLY wants an eel for it, and I've found out my LFS stocks spiny eels. Now, my little brother also gets 4 free fish with his tank, but i need to know if one of these scenarios will work:

1: He gets the eel, and some corydorus. He leaves it at that.
OOOR...
2: He gets the eel, and some cordorus. Then, when the eel is too big, I put it in my 30 gallon, and move a school of neon tetra into his from mine.

Will either of these work? Or will I just not be able to get him an eel at all? And also, if no spiny eel, is there another possibility? THANKS!!!

Hey! So my younger sibling got a 10 gallon with everything to start it. It is cycling, and appears to be near the end. (Ammonia is at .25, nitrite at .25, and nitrate at .5) He REALLY wants an eel for it, and I've found out my LFS stocks spiny eels. Now, my little brother also gets 4 free fish with his tank, but i need to know if one of these scenarios will work:

1: He gets the eel, and some corydorus. He leaves it at that.
OOOR...
2: He gets the eel, and some cordorus. Then, when the eel is too big, I put it in my 30 gallon, and move a school of neon tetra into his from mine.

Will either of these work? Or will I just not be able to get him an eel at all? And also, if no spiny eel, is there another possibility? THANKS!!!

Unfortunately there isn't much in the way of eels that can go in a 10g spiny eels can get up to 16" so a 55g I would think would be bare minimum I could be wrong though maybe you can try taking your sibling to your LFS so he can some variety of nano fish

You could try khuli loaches, they're eel like but stay small and you can have a bunch of them in a ten.

Are khuli loaches schooling, and how long do they get?

I would love Cories in my 14 gal. but have always been told here and at the LFS that the only Cories that would work are the Pygmy Cories. I've only seen them as fairly dark and they are very small. If you have a dark substrate they may not be very easy/enjoyable to watch. Sorry to rain on your parade. :(

We're talking about loaches

The OP did mention cories in their two stocking scenarios.

Any of the pygmy cory species would work fine in a 10g. Most would probably say kuhlis need a larger footprint as their activity level can be pretty high in groups.

I would get pigmy cories, that's about it

Kuhli loaches need a footprint of a 20 long (30 inches by 12 inches) or larger, they are small, but very, very active

If you can get a bigger tank then your options open up, but I'd still say a few khuhlis would be fine in a ten.

So about 4 khuli loaches in a sand only substrate tank would be fine, right? And, if I choose no loaches, would cory's be okay is a 10 g?

Also, what kind of decor should I get for loaches (if any?)

I would really not let loaches in, especially because they need a group if 4, and that is way too much activity, again I would go with pigmy cories

Back
Top Bottom