10 gallon stock list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazerFRS

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I'm now looking to restock my 10 gallon now that my goldfish isn't using it ...
so I've come up with a few ideas, I'd like your thoughts.

1)
1 Dwarf gourami
a small school of tetras for movment (neons or whatever works)
4 small cory cats (pandas, julii or whatever i can get my hands on locally)

2)
A pair of dwarf gouramis
4 small cory cats

3)
A German blue ram
4 small cory cats.

The ten gallon will be planted pretty thickly, with weekly water changes. I'll probably be adding the cory cats first, then follow later with the other fish.

Are all of these grossly overstocked?

#1 could be a little too much, but the other 2 could work. As for #3, could probably do a pair of rams and the cories?

Number 1 sounds great.

It is better off to have one dwarf gourami in the ten because 2 gourami's may fight and pick on each other. 10g may not be enough space for 2 gouramis and their "territories" so one is fine. As for the tetras a nice school of 5 should do it. If you'd like something different from neons look at: black neon tetra, glowlight tetra, rummynose tetra and cardinal tetra. I would try to get 4 panda cories as these are smaller for your tank.
With panda cories thats about 10 inches of fish :)

Rams can be sensitive and difficult to keep.

I have heard that aobut the rams, also that they prefer acidic water, while my water is rather basic (7.4 out of the tap). If they weren't sensitive I probably wouldn't worry about it but...
I do love their coloration tho.

Number one is my favorite... any chance of the tetras pickong on the gourami? I've heard they're rather shy.

Thanks

not really, unless you get a particularly shy one. My dwarf gourami seemed good with my black neon tetras and my glowlight tetras

I have both GBR's and Bolivians in my 55G, and my ph is stable around 7.2, occasionally 7.0, and they do just fine.

Let me just say, IMO...dont listen to people when they say "to much" ... if I posted my stocking list they would probably faint. ..... lets just say ALL my livebreathers are doing good in a fully planted 10 gal. and Im acually getting add ons every day because my female guppies and mollies give birth like onces a week so I trade the fry in for credit at my LFS when they get a little bigger but thats besides the point Im saying I got a "few" fish in my ten gallon, this isnt adding all the snails and 3 otos. but all my fish are doing well....and yes people will say "you think they are doing well" but they really are, you should see the beautiful colors my male silver molle got after I introduced him to my tank, the water is crystal clear (even with all those fish in the tank) and like I said new fry being born every day, no sickness, no ich, nothing of that nature.

xIHaKIx said:
Let me just say, IMO...dont listen to people when they say "to much" ... if I posted my stocking list they would probably faint. ..... lets just say ALL my livebreathers are doing good in a fully planted 10 gal. and Im acually getting add ons every day because my female guppies and mollies give birth like onces a week so I trade the fry in for credit at my LFS when they get a little bigger but thats besides the point Im saying I got a "few" fish in my ten gallon, this isnt adding all the snails and 3 otos. but all my fish are doing well....and yes people will say "you think they are doing well" but they really are, you should see the beautiful colors my male silver molle got after I introduced him to my tank, the water is crystal clear (even with all those fish in the tank) and like I said new fry being born every day, no sickness, no ich, nothing of that nature.

It's not that it's too much, it's how dedicated you are to the proper maintenance in higher bio-load tanks. It was like my 26G before I got my 55G, 30+ fish in a 26G, included my 2 fire eels which were 6+ inches each, a 5 inch bala shark, and 2 rainbow sharks. I did PWC's every 3 days and kept nitrates below 30, if not 20. I currently have 60 fish between the 2 tanks, and all are doing fine. Nitrates currently below 10ppm.

Rams will do fine in your water conditions. I have 6 in my 55 gal tank with a pH of 7.8. Their coloration is beautiful and they are thriving. I also had thought that they would not survive, but all 6 are doing great. Don't let pH stop you unless you have a grossly high or low number.

Lonewolfblue said:
xIHaKIx said:

It's not that it's too much, it's how dedicated you are to the proper maintenance in higher bio-load tanks.

That is exactly what, IMO and experience, basically determines how many fish you can keep in a tank- your dedication to the tank.

If I posted a list of my tanks I would guarantee that 99% of the people here would say they are overstocked, but they would not think that I do 50% water changes ever week, have filters much larger than most people have on their tanks (Rena XP1 canister on a 20 gallon), and my tanks are heavily planted.

It all depends on the hobbyist's dedication, knowledge, and experience.

I've seen a "tank" with a one liter capacity that held 6 fish and 2 shrimp (by Takashi Amano).

Overstocking and overcrowding are two different things. You can overstock and be safe, but overcrowding can be harmful to fish. Ie: Putting an Oscar in a 20L by himself is technically not overstocking. And sometimes it can get down right ridiculious. Ie: Having 75 guppies in a 10 gal tank. No matter how many water changes you do or how much filtration you have, it's just not good for the fish to have that many in the tank.

Fishyfanatic said:
Overstocking and overcrowding are two different things. You can overstock and be safe, but overcrowding can be harmful to fish. Ie: Putting an Oscar in a 20L by himself is technically not overstocking. And sometimes it can get down right ridiculious. Ie: Having 75 guppies in a 10 gal tank. No matter how many water changes you do or how much filtration you have, it's just not good for the fish to have that many in the tank.

Very well said. Thanks... :)

nomadofthehills said:
Pandas ARE pygmys :)

Pandas are pygmies but most of the time they are mislabeled at the fish store so just make sure you know what they look like.

Very well put Fishyfanatic.

I think you are right Mattrox. I have seen Pygmy cories at the lfs and they are ALOT tinnier than the standard Panda cory. The scientific name of the Pygmy Cory is Corydoras Pygmaeus whereas the Panda Cory is Corydoras Panda. Cousins?

Back
Top Bottom