10 gallon stocking question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReganH22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been running my 10 gallon for a little over a year now. I currently have a green Corey, 3 zebras, and 2 neon tetras. I feel bad that my neons have only been in a pair for so long, and would like to add 3 more. Is this possible with such a small tank? I am going to start cycling another 10 gallon tank today and plan on moving my zebras to that tank, but that might take a while. Any advice?

Do you have a master test kit? If you test your water 7 days since last 30% water change, what are the parameters? I feel worse for the cory having no buddy than for the tetra having only 1 buddy. A single cory just seems depressed. If you are keeping your nitrates from exceeding 20ppm and there is never any ammonia/nitrate present, I would add another cory. Then when you get the zebra's out, up your tetras to atleast 5. Emerald cories get pretty big..while they should be in a group of no smaller than 4, I'm not sure that would be appropriate for a 10 gal. It would be idea if you could start cycling a slightly larger tank for the neons and cories. Then you could have 4-6 cories and atleast 7 tetras...this would make everyone happier. My petco is running an awesome sale on 20 gal kits w/ heater and everything for 49.99 before $10 rebate...

Thanks for the info. The Cory was a loan survivor from a friend's tank that sprung a leak while he was on a business trip. I have a 37 gallon that I plan on putting the Cory in with some buddies for him, but I won't be setting that up until after I move this spring. I use the master test kit from API and my ammonia is at 0, nitrite 0, ph is at 7.0, and my nitrate is at 0.

I think if you're keeping up on water changes so it doesn't exceed 20 then go ahead and add the 3 more you want :)

Thanks again for the info. I went ahead and added the 3 new neon tetras, but then out of nowhere one of the neons I have had for a year died. He was acting normal one minute, and the next he was dead. I'm going to keep an eye on the fish to see if anything else happens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom