10 Gallon Tank needing suggestions for stocking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToastyHippie

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412532206.818066.jpg

Hey guys I need advice for stocking my brand new tank!

I have one idea but I'm really open to suggestions

I'm thinking

-6 neon tetras
- A betta
- Ghost shrimp
- One mystery snail

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your stocking is pretty good,

You can also try,
Mollys
Guppies
Mystery snails
Shrimps

Or- take out Mollys or guppies
And try some bottom feeders, Cory cats

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Haven't I already advised you about the tetras and a betta thing?

Emerald76

I posted this before we got into the conversation about it,

I can't think of anything that's colorful and attractive to put in the tank

I really want the ghost shrimp and mystery snails but I'm thinking about using the glow danios? I think that's what their called anyway

Colorful? Guppies- all males to solve the fry problem.

Emerald76

-Three glofish of different colors
-Four neon tetras
-Mystery snail
- 2 Ghost shrimp

I think this is what I'm going to get

Would they all work together and look nice in my tank?

I think you could get away with the neons with a lot of water changes but the glofish are GMO zebra danios- too big and too fast for a ten.

Emerald76

Everywhere I've read says they can easily be added into the tank at that size they should be good and I really want them in my tank

Also one sorta unrelated tank question my tank came with tetra aqua safe do I wait to put it in till the fish are put in Monday or do I plop it in now?

Where does it say they will be ok in a ten? Because the list on the store tanks are never right- they are there to make a sale.

Emerald76

Well the store lists are one, my friend keeping five of them completely healthy in a five gallon tank so I can easily keep them in a ten gallon tank with no problem.

Most of the internet is also another source.

Trust me I understand the I really want them thing- I fell in love with zebra danios and really wanted them too in my ten but it's not fair to the fish.

Emerald76

Well the store lists are one, my friend keeping five of them completely healthy in a five gallon tank so I can easily keep them in a ten gallon tank with no problem.

Most of the internet is also another source.

Okay, maybe someone else should come into this because you don't believe me. Look up zebra danios in the freshwater fish profiles section.

Emerald76

You CAN put zebra danios in a ten. I just don't think you SHOULD. They're so fast and active they wouldn't be very happy.

I loved your betta-neon idea. I personally have a betta, 7 neons and two nerite snails in a planted 10g. You HAVE to keep up with water changes every week. But my amonia, nitrite are always 0 and my nitrate never gets above 15.

Sent from my iPhone

It's not that I don't believe I'm just a little bit confused due to the fact that they are perfectly happy in my friends tank is it honestly super bad for them? To be kept in a ten gallon? They seem so small to the point it wouldn't bother them sorry for my ignorance I'm just extremely new to this the last time I kept a fish was when I was 5 years old and had a goldfish xD

Half a dozen zebras will be fine in a 10g, just keep up with water changes and general cleanliness of the tank

See I was reading on the glofish site they have three different types of glofish tetras, danios and barbs

If I go for the tetras would that be better?

They look like black phantom tetras so there probably bigger then the danios anyway

Back
Top Bottom