10 Gallon Tank needing suggestions for stocking!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check aqadvisor.com for appropriate stocking level for your tank size. Will help save you a lot of headache down the road. Also will give you hints on compatibility.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

See I was reading on the glofish site they have three different types of glofish tetras, danios and barbs

If I go for the tetras would that be better?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes and no.
Nice clear answer, eh?:brows:

the yes part is that they do not require the bigger tank for swimming like danios do.

The no is they do get about twice the size as danios, so.....

You CAN put zebra danios in a ten. I just don't think you SHOULD. They're so fast and active they wouldn't be very happy.

that is the most concise and accurate answer.
there are lots of critters that can be physically housed in smaller tanks, but it does not mean that is the best environment for them.
I promise if you took your friends glo fish/danios out of that five gallon and put them in a tank that is 36" inches or longer, you see them swim laps like crazy and get going at speeds that they simple do not have room in a five or ten gallon to achieve.

It would be similar to keeping a track and field runner confined in their bedroom.

Ok that actually sorta makes sense what could I use instead of the glo fish that is bright and not a guppy? And will not kill the others ones I have planned for this tank?

Ghost shrimp, Mystery snail and neon tetras

Id prefer a bigger fish it's not that I hate guppys but they just don't appeal to me.

I like platies! Another fish that would get along well with a betta or neons and is colorful is kuhli loaches! They stay on the bottom and tend to hide a lot but when you do see them it always feels really special.

Something you could think about, but only if you do well with keeping the neons and you get really good at maintaining good water, is a pair of ram cichlids. They can be very fussy about water but there aren't many more beautiful fish that fit in a 10.

Rams, neons, and bettas? I'd say no on the rams and go for a platy trio or loaches.

Emerald76

My tank isn't really set up for a lot of hiding either I posted a picture of it earlier it's got a few fake plants and a ornament to swim through should I add more? What about a heater also ? Sorry I know these are dumb questions but... I don't want to hurt the fish

Rams, neons, and bettas? I'd say no on the rams and go for a platy trio or loaches.

Emerald76
I wasn't suggesting all of them together, just spitballing ideas! Rams are the prettiest fish I could think of for a 10, but not great for beginners (speaking from having one of mine spontaneously die this weekend... :()

Platys are livebearers, kinda sorta like guppies but not really. Just google them! They come in a ton of colors.

If you're getting any of these fish you NEED a heater! More ornaments wouldnt hurt but isn't completely necessary.

You need a heater for tropicals. Platies are related to guppies but larger and both sexes are colorful.

Emerald76

I already planned on picking a heater up after school but I wasn't completely sure.

I'll do some research on platys I guess not exactly what I was hoping for but looking can't hurt I guess.

I wasn't suggesting all of them together, just spitballing ideas! Rams are the prettiest fish I could think of for a 10, but not great for beginners (speaking from having one of mine spontaneously die this weekend... :()

Platys are livebearers, kinda sorta like guppies but not really. Just google them! They come in a ton of colors.

Oh ok :)

Emerald76

Why not do the betta, neons, and snail? Btw that mystery snail will get to be the size of your fist so plan accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm not doing the betta due to my friend flipping out plus several people telling me not to put them together.

Most bettas do fine in a community tank as long as there aren't any guppies or other aggressive fish.

Sent from my iPhone

Most bettas do fine in a community tank as long as there aren't any guppies or other aggressive fish.

Sent from my iPhone
I agree with this. Although some have stated neons would stress a betta out, I've kept a betta with neons and rummynoses and the betta seemed fine.

My betta shoals with my neons :-/

I realize this is the exception not the rule. But think a betta is her best option considering her choices.

Sent from my iPhone

Here are a few options:

Celestial Pearl danios
Dwarf emerald rasboras
Ember tetras
Chili rasboras
Endlers

Definitely no glo danios or rams in a 10g. A honey gourami could work in place of a betta. I know it's probably too late for this but something like a 20g long would give you a ton more options fauna-wise and also be easier to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advicemyxm mzeN

I give up maybe I'll just do a single goldfish instead of a tropical tank

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would rather you put 6 danios in a ten than 1 goldfish in a ten gallon.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom