10 Gallon tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I could add all 10 fish at once by net and they would be okay? Then buy the snails at the same time and add them in after 2-3 days?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

No, add them as 2-4 fish per week, as the bacteria needs time to grow to support the bioload of the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Okay but if I bought all the fish together would the fish die?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

You would most likely have a big ammonia spike which could kill the fish.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Ya I totally understand that. If I bought all the fish from the store though on the 16 of March (around then) and I added 4 in then waited 4 days would the fish die in the wait? Because the lfs here is a ways away so I wouldn't be able to go once a week for a few weeks

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

and leave fish in a bag for 4 days......
yes theyd be dead probably.

what fish are you adding i cant see 10 fish in a 10 going well...

You should add them slowly over a few weeks, maybe two at a time, so it's not too much for the aquarium to handle.

A. Make sure to put fish bags into dark bags or a closed box for the ride home. If it's over an hour, use an insulated box or cooler. Keeping the fish in the dark for the ride home will help keep him calm and keep the ammonia buildup down a bit.

If it's over an hour to the house, ask the store to put the fish into a larger bag.

When they are bagging the fish make sure there is only a third water and two thirds air in the bag. Like this
http://youtu.be/SWyi1HEmFfM. Do not let the store clerk put too much water into the bag. If you're buying several fish ,split them into multiple bags, esp if it's a long trip home.

With tiny fish like otos or neons, I always get them into their main bag and then to keep them out of corners, and keep them from getting squished during transport, I will gently turn that main bag over and slide it top down into a second bag. This is a very important step... as this keeps tiny fish from getting trapped in corners !!The second bag will also help insulate on a longer car ride and keep the temperature more constant.

Flipping the main bag and eliminating corners will also prevent the bags from being popped by spiny fish such as Coreys putting their head in the corner and spreading their pectoral fins and popping your main bag.

An alternate method is to fold up the corners on the bag and tape them into a rounded shape on the bottom, some stores do this instead.

If you are going to float your bags in your tanks , then first take some water OUT of your aquarium , so your tank doesn't overflow. keep this water. You can use it as the 1st cup of water to go into the bags. With small fish and small transport bags don't add a full cup of aquarium water, adjust accordingly, add maybe a quarter of a cup of water.

Turn off your aquarium lights also before you start floating your bags. Dim the room lights as well if possible. The darkened environment will keep the fish in the bag calmer, and also slow buildup of ammonia.

Cories can self poison in the bag. Bring home a bag of tank water from your store without any fish. If you see yellow water or bubbles in the Cory bag, move them into a container of clean tank water. Google this topic for more information.

Turn off your filter if needed, if bags are being moved around too much.

http://youtu.be/g37aRaXNJjU

Drip method.
http://youtu.be/cv9xDdGPYeo

Never pour fish into a net over the sink or something they can fall down into I always pour over a bowl or bucket if I need to use this method.

When the fish have been in the bag on the ride home they are building up toxins in the bag. That is one of the main reasons you don't want that bag of water in your tank. Disease risk and added Ammonia.

Using the quarantine tank is ideal !!, but I know most newbies on this site do not use one unless they are doing salt water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have one more question haha. How should I add the fish in?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

I've always floated the bag for about 20 - 30 minutes and after 20 I start to add a little aquarium water at a time. I take a large cup and put a little aquarium water in the bag at a time, waiting 15 minutes in between adding water. When the bag starts to get too full I very carefully empty some of the water from the bag into a separate container to put more of the aquarium water in the bag with the fish. I repeat that several times til it's almost all just my aquarium water. There is a drip method but it isn't the most common way and it can be a little difficult for a beginner.

Okay but if I bought all the fish together would the fish die?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

If you bought them all together and threw them in yes they would probably not do good. This is what we mean about cycling your tank. When a tank is newly set up it is fine it seems..... But it's not. Your filter needs time to build up beneficial bacteria that will help rid ammonia and nitrite out of your aquarium. When you add fish without cycling your aquarium you will end up with a lot of dead fish from ammonia poisoning. But when the tank is cycled there is beneficial bacteria built up that converts the ammonia into nitrites and nitrites into nitrates. It's crucial to get your tank cycled before adding fish because you'll end up blowing a lot of money on more fish thinking it's just the fish when really it is your unsustainable aquarium.

I've always floated the bag for about 20 - 30 minutes and after 20 I start to add a little aquarium water at a time. I take a large cup and put a little aquarium water in the bag at a time, waiting 15 minutes in between adding water. When the bag starts to get too full I very carefully empty some of the water from the bag into a separate container to put more of the aquarium water in the bag with the fish. I repeat that several times til it's almost all just my aquarium water. There is a drip method but it isn't the most common way and it can be a little difficult for a beginner.

Sorry I forgot also, after I do all of that I NET the fish out and don't pour any of the water from the bag into my aquarium. When fish are in the aquarium I top the tank off with fresh water if needed.

And also when doing your water changes, make sure do add a dechlorinator. And whatever the temp is in your aquarium is what temp it needs to be when you put it in. I take the thermometer and match the temperature just right and add my dechlorinator into the container I use to put water in my tank and fill up with the correct temperature of water.

Only add 3 fish max at a time id say for a 10 gallon. And I'd say it would probably be safe to add the last 4 since you'd be getting 10. Just make sure you add the last 4 last. So do...
3 fish - 1st week
3 fish - 3rd week
3 fish - 5th week
4 fish - 6th week

That should give it time to build up more beneficial bacteria by the time the 6th week rolls around. Just be sure to skip a week in between. This can be beneficial.
You'll want more time too just in case you think you understand cycling and dont. Start with 3 because you'll more than likely end up killing them if the tank isn't properly set up. You can't just add water and plop them in. I thought you could just like many other newcomers and I killed like 15 fish!!! It was terrible and made me feel like crap!!! I saved the last few amazingly! I really think they shouldn't have lived.

Alright thanks for all the help c:

I'm getting endlers for the tank.

What would I do then because we live far away from our lfs so I can't be driving there once a week for a month so what would I do?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

Alright thanks for all the help c:

I'm getting endlers for the tank.

What would I do then because we live far away from our lfs so I can't be driving there once a week for a month so what would I do?

Slightly newbish.

5 Gallon Betta Tank

If you can't go there as often as every other week then you'll really need to so it over a logger period of time. I know you'll be anxious to have a fully stocked aquarium but be patient. Patience helps so you don't lose any fish. I got excited too my first stocked tank and I ended up not being too excited when I was overwhelmed saving all the fish I could.

Make sure you gave:
Filter
Heater
Air stone and pump
(warmer water fish need oxygen added to the water since heat lowers oxygen)
Decorations for them to hide
Proper lighting

Food
Dechlorinator
Api water test kit
Backup meds (just in case of a disease outbreak)
You'll get outbreaks being new unless you have a good friend or someone helping you to teach you what they learned from when they messed up.

Back
Top Bottom