10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the barb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey! I have a ten gallon tank and wondering what to stock it with. I have 3 zebra danios if that helps.

My favorites are Kuhlii loaches, sparkling gourami, cherry barbs, and zebra danios. It's in it's first cycle

image-1284355799.jpg

Attachments

• image-1284355799.jpg
    image-1284355799.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 68
IMO the danios are too active to be in a 10 gal; they'd really prefer more swim room. This is true for most danios, rasboras and tetras with the exceptions being for nano fish (celestial pearl danio, ember tetra or chili rasbora). You're about half-stocked now already, I'm afraid.

Really because my local pet store (not petsmart or Petco) said that danios are fine in a 10 gallon.

Hey! I have a ten gallon tank with 3 zebra danios. I want to know what fish are compatible and can go in it. It also has a 74 F temperature.

Unfortunately, your danios need a twenty gallon. However, a few guppies and dwarf Cories would work perfectly.

Do you have a heater? 74 is a little on the low side for tropicals. I would consider keeping it between 76-80

Of course I have a heater. I have had fish for a while and it's fine.

Really because my local pet store (not petsmart or Petco) said that danios are fine in a 10 gallon.

They often sell Zebra Danios as starter fish because they are hardy fish. They often get nippy in small groups in small tanks.

Your tank is too new to be adding more fish. I see on you other thread you added more already.

You may crash your tank if you aren't more patient and pay attention to your water.

Adding fish too fast to a new tank will often kill your fish. Check your water daily.

Most fish thrive in 68-86 degrees F.

That's too broad a generalization.

Over 80 you get much less oxygen

Under 76 is too cool for some species and they become much more prone to Ich and other illnesses.

You should always research the habitats of your specific species and find out if yours are farmed or wild caught.

Yes captive bred fish can handle a broader range. But optimizing their environment can support long term health.

Surviving and thriving are two different things.

As you continually argue and dismiss advice and chose to believe your Big box store over some excellent advice you've received so far,
I bow out.

What would I know. I've only kept fish for over 30 years. I've only managed two pet stores. I'm only a member of the oldest and largest aquatic plant club in the country. I do not claim to be an expert. I learn new things every day. I do try to pass on what I know to help others.

I know you are new. I know it's exciting. I know the advice you are getting isn't always going to be what you want to hear. All we ever want is for you to have healthy happy fish AND for you to succeed and enjoy your tank(s) long term.
Killing fish after fish tends to burn people out. So a happy tank is a win.

Keep learning.

Unsubscribing

I go to a pet store that gives free water tests

I would suggest you get your own. If you really are serious about this hobby than it is a must have. Pet stores often use test strips which do not give accurate readings.

Also they may tell you your water is ok when it is in fact not. I actually just had a local pet store worker, the manager of the fish section actually, tell me that ammonia, nitrite and nitrate reading are useless. Anyone with a basic understanding of aquaria knows this is a complete lie.

I highly recommend you listen to the advice given here. These are knowledgeable people with years and years in the hobby. Their only goal is to help you have happy, healthy fish. Unlike stores, they are not in it for the money, they only care about the best care for your pet.

Most fish thrive in 68-86 degrees F.

every fish is different. All fish have different needs, it's not possible to lump every fish into that group. While many will survive in those temps it does not mean it is the best for them and that they will do the best. Keeping a tropical fish on the low end of those can cause stress for some species and this increases your odds of illness and death.

Back
Top Bottom