10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loukas42

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm thinking I Want to do a 10 gallon planted shrimp tank.

Anybody done this before ad would like to give me some advice and help me run through it maybe?

Anything you guys give me I'm graceful far. Thank you.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/hopeful-zero-cycle-build-200273.html That is a link to MABJ's 5 gallon shrimp tank, it has some good info in it. What kind of shrimp are you looking at? RCS? You going for a low light set up? I just put my first shrimp into my 10 gallon planted shrimp tank. There's also all kinds of pond/ramshorn snails in there, a few malaysian trumpet snails and 5 assassin snails.

If you have any questions ask and we'll do our best to answer ya, there is a new subforum they are trying out just for inverts like shrimp and snails so jump over there and take a look.

Sand with root tabs
Lots of Plants
Cycle it

Then add a few Shrimp, if they do well, add more or wait and they'll start breeding usually within 6 weeks or so if you get RCS.

There is more to it than that, but that's the basics. Read the threads on here or Google and find a ton of info. I can't type too much, hands hurt.

Here are some of my Shrimp
http://youtu.be/9cXselsTs5Y

I was a beta tester for Repashy, so just mute my commentary. Need to switch to music LOL

Sweet thats sounds perfect. I know info about it, just don't know how to like set it up.

Coursair said:
Sand with root tabs
Lots of Plants
Cycle it

Then add a few Shrimp, if they do well, add more or wait and they'll start breeding usually within 6 weeks or so if you get RCS.

There is more to it than that, but that's the basics. Read the threads on here or Google and find a ton of info. I can't type too much, hands hurt.

Here are some of my Shrimp
http://youtu.be/9cXselsTs5Y

I was a beta tester for Repashy, so just mute my commentary. Need to switch to music LOL

How many shrimp are in the tank in that video, and how big is that tank?

Sake said:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/hopeful-zero-cycle-build-200273.html That is a link to MABJ's 5 gallon shrimp tank, it has some good info in it. What kind of shrimp are you looking at? RCS? You going for a low light set up? I just put my first shrimp into my 10 gallon planted shrimp tank. There's also all kinds of pond/ramshorn snails in there, a few malaysian trumpet snails and 5 assassin snails.

If you have any questions ask and we'll do our best to answer ya, there is a new subforum they are trying out just for inverts like shrimp and snails so jump over there and take a look.

Yeah sake I want RCS but I don't Want any snails r anything like that. What kind of plants do you have?

I've got dwarf hairgrass java moss water wisteria subwussertang some kind of local plant duckweed and a moss ball

What does the moss ball do exactly? Like I have no clue about them.

Collect alot of stuff on them and the shrimp love to graze on it eating everything off it.

Loukas42 said:
I'm thinking I Want to do a 10 gallon planted shrimp tank.

Anybody done this before ad would like to give me some advice and help me run through it maybe?

Anything you guys give me I'm graceful far. Thank you.

Hehe thanks for the shout out Sake.

10 gallons may be too big for just shrimp lol. You might never see them!

You could easily do a school of micro fish or something like that.

Definitely plant it.

Do what makes you happy lol.

What kind of fish would you reccomend for a 10 gallon ?

And oh yeah, I definitely want planted tank.

Shrimp actually do best without fish. Otos are safe. Other fish may be ok with adults, but most fish will eat Shrimplets. I had a ton of Shrimp before I added any fish.

I enjoy my Celestial Pearl Danios (CPDs). They may snack on babies, but I never see them bother adults at all. They are shy unless they have lots of plants and prefer other Nano fish, large fish will cause them to hide. Mine do hide among the plants, but there are almost always a few out.

I love my Threadfin Rainbows, but I'd actually prefer them in a 20 Long. I'd enjoy have a larger group.

Dwarf Cories, there are 3 species.

Dario, Dario ( Scarlet Badis ). Tiny cute predator, will eat newborn Shrimplets. Fine with adults and larger Shrimp.

So Shrimp only or Shrimp with Otos is best if you want all your Shrimp to live. Threadfins have TINY mouths and throats and may be also Shrimp Safe, but as I said, they are more of a 20g. fish, than a solid recommendation for a 10g IMHO.

Well I honestly would rather get a bunch of shrimp if I could just go with them.

A 10G tank is the best possible size tank for shrimp IMHO. I'll take some pics of my 10G RCS tank tomm when the lights come back on. Just an FYI, you don't have to start off with RCS. There are other shrimp like snowballs, yellows, and blue pearls that will do fine with RCS parameters. The species I stated reproduce just as prolific. The stocking rate is usually 10 shrimp per 1 gallon of water. However, I do know some people who have at least 200 in a 10G tank, I don't really advise it though. You can do a small school of nano fish, but as Coursair stated already, shrimp will breed much more (as in more babies will live) in a tank without predators. My absolute favorite nano fish for shrimp tanks are chili rasboras. They are very very small, with even smaller mouths. I've seen them completely ignore newborn shrimp swimming in front of them. They are also very curious, like to play in the filter output, come greet me when I am in front of the tank, and have beautiful colors. shrimp love moss because they eat the bio-film off of it and all the other micro-organisms. So make sure you have some moss in the tank:)

Sweet, so I can do shrimp like those three with RCS? Or you mean like they are just as easy to take care of. And yeah I'm gonna get some moss and moss balls. Thanks for all that info though! And yes I would love to see pictures!!!

Loukas42 said:
Sweet, so I can do shrimp like those three with RCS? Or you mean like they are just as easy to take care of. And yeah I'm gonna get some moss and moss balls. Thanks for all that info though! And yes I would love to see pictures!!!

Nooooo. Make sure you know your species.

Mixing neocardinia with neocardinia is bad. They'll interbreed which would give you poor quality shrimp!

Pick one or the other lol. He meant they are just different color variants of the species, so care is comparable.

Ohhh I see. See just making sure. But yeah I think I'm just gonna do RCS. And yeah I'm gonna get some moss and probably moss balls.

Yeah, sorry I didn't go into detail about that. Mixing Neo's with Neo's will give you brown shrimp. Interbreeding will cause the shrimps immune system to be weaker, shorter life span, and an ugly brown color. The ugly brown color happens because the shrimp was bred to create a nice red color from specific breeding. Interbreeding will cause you to lose the red strain, and it will avert back to it's color it had in the wild:) (brown)

Thats why higher grade shrimp are so picky about their water quality. They are bred over and over again to achieve their SSS grade, that their immune system is so weak, they require PRISTINE water conditions lol

You can mix Neo's (neocardina) with cardinas though:) EX- neocardina heteropoda var.red (RCS) with Cardina Cantonensis (crystal red shrimp) usually Cardina shrimp require a little more work than those of the neocardina variety:) hope this helps!!:)

Sweet yeah I had no clue about all that stuff. That helps a lot.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom