100 gallon possibilities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRMagno

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just recently got a 90-100 gallon tank (haven't accurately measured yet) and the plan was to go marine FOWLR, but since my wife has learned that 100 still isn't large enough for a shark or blue tangs she has somewhat lost interest. I'm now toying with the idea of doing a fresh water planted tank, but am not sure what would be cool to put in it. My only thoughts so far are a few Bala Sharks. I would like to do somewhat large fish, but realize that 100 isn't large enough for oddballs. I also want variety. I've been trying to research, but am not coming up with much. Do you guys have any suggestions or recommendations?

I wouldn't get bala sharks, even in a 100 gallon they will be cramped. They can grow well over a foot. A redtail, rainbow, or columbian black tip would be better options. How about 1 redtail shark, 4 uaru, 1 red Severum, 3 geophagus, and 1 tire track eel.

Unfortunately a 100g isn't big enough for Bala Sharks. What are the dimensions of the tank? I'll suggest a few oddballs once I know.

Tire track eels get over 3 feet long, skip that one and go for a zigzag or peacock.

I wouldn't get bala sharks, even in a 100 gallon they will be cramped. They can grow well over a foot. A redtail, rainbow, or columbian black tip would be better options. How about 1 redtail shark, 4 uaru, 1 red Severum, 3 geophagus, and 1 tire track eel.

Thanks for the suggestions! I like those a lot, but I'm just not sure the variety I'm looking for is there. I haven't been this torn over something in a long time! :banghead: haha
I'll just have to keep researching, I like the Uaru a lot! Since It's not quite big enough for balas I think I'll just skip the "sharks"

Unfortunately a 100g isn't big enough for Bala Sharks. What are the dimensions of the tank? I'll suggest a few oddballs once I know.
Tire track eels get over 3 feet long, skip that one and go for a zigzag or peacock.
The tank is 60" long X 18" deep X 20" high, so it calculates to about 93 gallons
Instead of any eels I was thinking a pair of rope fish might be cool

discus looks stunning in large planted tank.
I'm trying to stay away from discus because of how fickle they can be. though I do not plan for my params to be off, I don't think I'm ready to take them on yet.

Rope fish and a few of the smaller bichir species would do great in that tank. I can't recall if Red Wolfs are legal in CA or not so you might look into those as well. I know the Hoplias species is illegal but I believe the Erythrinus species is legal. I used to keep a Red Wolf with bichirs and it was a great oddball tank.

Here is a video of my old Red Wolf and a bichir I had with him. This tank was 48x18x13.

Rope fish and a few of the smaller bichir species would do great in that tank. I can't recall if Red Wolfs are legal in CA or not so you might look into those as well. I know the Hoplias species is illegal but I believe the Erythrinus species is legal. I used to keep a Red Wolf with bichirs and it was a great oddball tank.

Here is a video of my old Red Wolf and a bichir I had with him. This tank was 48x18x13.

That red wolf is cool, but I don't really think he's up my alley. If I do this as a freshwater, I think I'm leaning more towards chiclids. I was thinking it would be neat to add a blue knight lobster and or a white ghost lobster. Would those two be able to coexist with 90 gallons? And would they bother rope fish? My other question is can you mix American and African chiclids?

So it turns out i answered my own question, kind of. The African Chiclid i was looking at needs a higher PH, so he's out. So if the "Lobsters" are compatible, here's what I'm thinking so far:
1 Threadfin Geophagus
1 Red Oscar
1 electric Blue Jack Dempsey
1 Black Convict
1 Yellow Convict
2 Ropefish
1 White Ghost Lobster
1 Blue Knight Lobster

AQAdvisor puts this a little of 100%, without the lobsters, but since the tank will be moderately to to heavy planted and I have an overflow to an over 20 gallon wet/dry filter with a turnover of 1200 GPH I think I'll be good if I stay on top of water changes

http://parrotcichlid.com/node/15287

Redparrot.jpg

Parrot cichlids are a good choice if you want a larger cichlid and, they are nice than oscars.

A heavily planted tank would not be heavily planted for long with that fish list...
If you want plants look into severums, festivums, and angels. They have the cichlid attitude without their destructive nature.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Now to research some possibilities for a FOWLR tank, check prices for equipment for each, and confer with the wife.

Back
Top Bottom