10g FW Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pond snails are pretty cool. like fort said, if you don't overfeed, they wont become a problem. MTS are pretty cool little snails too. I love them. I removed the substrate from my 10g tank I tore down today... There are thousands of them, which is excellent! :)

Ok, good to hear snails aren't horrible like everything I've ever heard. I'll keep an eye on them. I'm just worried that the population will explode since I'm using the flake food method to cycle.

Now, a question on photoperiods. I ordered a light timer, and just got it in today. How long would you all recommended I set it for on a daily basis? Give me some turfgrass or just about any crop, and I can tell you exactly what their requirements are. Stick a plant underwater, and I'm clueless. I'd assume different "day lengths" would promote different physiological responses for different aquatic species (tillering, flowering, etc.). I'm just looking for a good average photoperiod to encourage regular vegetative growth. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

In other news, I just noticed on of my Aponogenton bulbs is germinating! However, my Wisteria seems to be having trouble at the bottom of the plant, but growing well at the top. My guess is this is a lighting issue?

I started adding Flourish today, too. Hope it makes my lovely plants happy :)

Now, for some (not-so-great-quality) pictures. I really need to figure out a better strategy for tank photography. These will at least give you a general idea of what's new :). The pictures make the water look really green, but it's quite clear in person.

Bulb Germinating:

img1516ox.jpg

One view of new Driftwood:

img1518vj.jpg

Amazon? Sword?

img1530zr.jpg

Full:

img1533z.jpg

PS. Fort, assuming my math is correct, it should take half an Aggie to screw in one light bulb, since I screwed the two new ones into my hood the other day without a hitch ;)... but if you have a better answer, feel free to throw it my way.

Wisteria Images

Too many images in last post, so I couldn't fit these:

Healthy Wisteria Top:

img1521xk.jpg

Wilting Wisteria Base:

img1520l.jpg

Overall Wisteria Plant:

img1522jj.jpg

PS. Fort, assuming my math is correct, it should take half an Aggie to screw in one light bulb, since I screwed the two new ones into my hood the other day without a hitch ;)... but if you have a better answer, feel free to throw it my way.

The correct answer is 1. But you will get 3 credit hours for it :p:p

Very nice pics, btw.

8 hours is a good place to start with lights.

I would make sure to do a couple big water changes at the end of your cycle. fish food will cause phosphates to build up, and excess phosphates+light=algae. That's the bad part about cycling with plants. Just keep an eye on algae. If you start having problems with algae, reduce photo period.

Hi Mel. Your tank is looking so good. I can see that you already have the experts telling you all the good stuff. And I am learning at the same time. :)

With the pond snails, I have them too in my 5g and 4.4g. I always catch whatever I could. I tried the lettuce method but didn't work. I was worried too coz I am using the flake method as well. But if MFD and fort said that pond snails are fine, then I am okay with it then. I was just worried it will also overtake my tanks.

Well, that was fast.

When I woke up this morning, I did my normal water test (Using API mater test kit)... my results were not quite what I expected.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: Off the chart
Nitrates: Off the chart

I assume since the Nitrites/Nitrates are so high, I should probably do a PWC to bring them down a bit. Or is it okay to let them stay at these extreme levels?

Sorry for such a quick post, but I'm in-between classes at school and off to go take an Organic Chemistry exam in 30 minutes. Eek.

Thanks,
Melissa

Updated Water Parameters

2 hours after a 50% PWC:

-Ammonia: 0ppm (not for a lack of source, there is plenty of food left in the tank)
-Nitrites: 0ppm... (Not quite sure how they all disappeared that fast, but they did.)
-Nitrates: 20-40ppm
-pH: 8.2 (This has been constant... it's the same pH as what comes out of the tap here, and yeah, it sucks. Treated only with Prime)
-Temp: 76 degrees F

And, to recap...
-26 watts of 6500K light in the form of 2 spiral CF lights
-Just started using Flourish

EDIT: Including a new full-tank shot for effect. Taken 2 minutes ago :)
img1540f.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry about the pH. Most fish have no problem adapting.

If those readings hold for a day or so, clean the waste food out of the tank and get some fish!

Darn

Well, I guess yesterday was a bit of a fluke. Today my nitrites spiked back up off the charts, but ammonia and nitrates held steady at 0 and 20-40ppm, respectively. Oh well, I guess I'm back to the waiting game. Gonna do another PWC this afternoon to get the nitrites back down to readable levels.

Stocking ideas...

So, I've pretty much decided on who is going to inhabit my tank when it's ready. (Buying from SM & HN1.)

2-3 Sparkling Gouramis
8-10 CPDs
a bunch of shrimp. I would love to find some blue pearl or blue tiger shrimp, but if I can't, I'll probably go with RCS.

Sound good to everyone?

as far as shrimp go, i wouldn't get your heart set on blue tiger shrimp. they are not a good beginner shrimp since they are highly inbred and very delicate as a result, not to mention hella expensive.

Also i believe your ph is a bit high for for cardina sp. shrimp, they may have reduced life spans and i would not expect breeding.

however, neocardina sp.shrimp, aka red cherry shrimp an co should be fine. if your interested in a shrimp similar to a tiger shrimp then indian zebra shrimp would be more suitable to your water parameters.

as far as your fish stocking goes you are about at your limit. i would estimate that tank needing 50% partial water changes every week, better for your fish to split it to 2 25% pwc.

as far as algae control your shrimpies may not be enough, i find horned nerite snails (Clithon corona) to be very attractive, 1 or 2 should be sufficient for your tank.

also IME sparkling gouramis and CPDs are picky eaters so be ready to feed them frozen or live foods if they reject flake at first.

also also CPDs are a very pretty fish but i do find them a bit lacking in the personality department.

Back from Spring Break

So, I've been gone camping these past four days, and have been anxious to get back to my tank. After 4 days being left alone with just some fish food inside to keep the bacteria fed, my levels are 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 20 Nitrates! Looks like it might be time to get some fishy friends :)

Back
Top Bottom