10g ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anything wild caught is going to be ridiculously expensive... but well worth it to most as the chances of weak stock and/or inbreeding is drastically reduced...

Yeah, but they look just like Kirstins! I would rather have hers lol. $35 is a little less shocking. My husband would definitley kill me if I ordered fish for $125.

You know, every time I look at Cichlids, I kick myself harder for not getting some to start with. MAN they are stinkin cool fish! I just found another one that I want lol! Saw some Black Pembas that are really cool.

Those do look cool but I read that they can be difficult to care for. It's particularly easy for them to bloat.

Rofl, I just thought I'd let you know. I mean I'm sure someday after you get enough african cichlid experience under ur belt you might be able to keep them.

Oh, well I didn't think my BGK would live either, but he is doing AWESOME. Even in my hard water. I am becoming the fish whisperer.

*whisper whisper* lol jk. That's great tht he's doing good and I hope he continues his pattern of good health.

Yeah, he's a stud. (If he is a he that is, lol!)
I just found multi's for $15/2. That is a little more in my price range lol!
Question, how do you raise your pH? Crushed shells or coral?

Is it like male/female pair?
My pH is naturally higher due to my tap water. Also I think the rocks in my tank help, but multis, I think, aren't too much into rocks. I'm not the person to ask about altering the pH as I have learned it can have negative side effects.

No, I only have one BGK. Bad to have 2 due to the fact that they send out electricity lol.

What do you do if you have cichlids that need higher pH then? I don't mean chemically? My tap water is 7.6, but I have noticed cichlids need like 8.0. Will they get used to 7.6?

I meant the $15/2 was tht a male/female pair or something? And I'm not sure about 7.6 pH but I know at 7.8 they do fine but it depends because some cichlids have more species-specific condition requirments. I have read that 7.8 tho is usually the basic minimum.

Oh lol. It doesn't say. Just says 2. I have seen other ones on the site, and they are between $10-$40, the guy named Greg seems to think his fish are pretty special cause all ofhis are really high priced.
On a side note, I found a seller of cichlids in PDX which is only about 7 hours away from me. So if I do decide to get some (which I probably will someday) I will more than likely go thru them, since they would get here pretty fast. That way I wouldn't have to go to Petco (the only place around here who has cichlids).

Holy crap. People must be wanting X-mas money! Check this out:

Saltwater Aquarium fish tank-65 gallons-with stand, two lights, hood, filter, pump, water irritator and heater, as well as 1 clown fish (Nemo) and 1 Domino Damsel, as well as live rock in tank and sand and shell. All for $100! Needs to go fast! First $100 takes it, this won't last!

you should buy it! our tap water is high around here.. mine and a1's generally run around 8... crushed coral will buffer the ph, i just dont like messing with it... imo, and im sure you've heard this said a million times, a stable ph is better than the "perfect" ph that bounces up and down all the time... as long as you acclimate your fish properly, the ph isnt going to be much of a factor...

No I am not interested in SW. Too much $$ and work lol. I have been looking on Craigslist, and MAN, people are really selling tanks right now in my area. I have been stalking for months, and not seen any good deals, now they are EVERYWHERE!
Thanks for the advice on the pH, if I am to get cichlids sometime, I would not have to alter the pH then. GOOD! I also don't like to alter things, especially with chemicals. I would rather go the natural route.

if anything, you could throw some cc in there to buffer it somewhat, but in all reality, there is absolutely no reason to... they do make this "african cichlid sand" that buffers the ph and is supposed to mock the conditions in lake malawi, but, imo, its a useless waste of money lol

Back
Top Bottom