10g nano (new pics 8/23)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen those phs at petsmart as well. I like the SEIOs, but they are pretty big.

Mostly corals and a couple of fish. Maybe a clown/blenny combo. Still a bit off from that decision. :)

Today I knocked some of the rock down so I decided to re-aquascape the tank. While doing so I saw my first 'pod! I feel like a proud papa! :)

I have actually been to th place. It is awesome! I have also ordered from them as well.

Well, after the holidays I seem to have a small algae outbreak. Well, it's not so small, but that's okay, gonna scale back the light timer. Still no fish, water parameters spot on. I'm ready for a clean-up crew :). What is recommended for a 10g nano?

Some things I would love to have include Fire shrimp, Lettuce nudibranch, emerald crab, blue leg hermit crabs. I don't mind snails and stuff either, but I don't want to go overboard on the CUC. Any advice?

My advice would be some nassarius snails and the fire shrimp. Hermits are okay, but they eat the snails...so that's why I don't like them. The only snails my hermits have not eaten are the Astrea snails. Nassarius snails are sand stirrers though. They hide out under the sandbed all day, then come out as soon as you drop food in the tank. So in addition to being really good stirrers, they are comical to watch as well.

Just my two pennies.

How about that nudibranch - that's what made me want a reef to begin with.....but I don't want to kill it or put it in with species it doesn't agree with.......

Far as I know it should be fine. I just know it needs lots of algae and rock to graze on. Oh, and make sure to cover the intakes of your powerheads as well. I hear they get sucked up easily..

Just use caution with these as when they run out of food they will starve and die releasing toxins into your tank and in a 10 that will happen almost instantly (toxin poisoning )

i was told that a nano reef was super difficult, especially for a first timer. how are you finding it?

i am super tempted to set up my 17gal tank as a reef, but only have fw experience, and don't want to mess it up!

My first reef was a 7 gallon ... it is not all that hard but you have to exersise patients ....
read , read , read and when you think there is nothin else that you can read read some more ....Go super slow and you should be fine ... you also have to be viligant of your system with top offs and testing, water changes , more so with this size than with a larger system .... It can be done as a first system ... you will have trials and trublations but that is what this board and others are for to help you and support you... and get you through. With a nano the one thing you dont want to skimp on is your LR that is the pinnicle of a good nano reef as that offers you biological filtration. Good luck HTH ;)

EEE

zenkatydid said:
i was told that a nano reef was super difficult, especially for a first timer. how are you finding it?

Do what Sadie said - read, read, read. I put about 2 months of INTENSIVE reading in before I even put a drop into my tank, and I still have not one animal besides what came on the live rock. I'm very excited for today though - it's payday, and time to drop a clean up crew in. (well, not "drop them in".......). I'm doing the nano reef at the office to get good practice for my 55g (or 75g - I'm hedging on the 75 because I live in a 3rd floor apartment). Having said all that I am not finding it difficult and I'm enjoying the process immensely - as are the others in my office. :)

I'd say as long as you can stand to be patient and follow the correct procedure for the correct amount of time, you'll be fine. If you're one of those folks that needs instant gratification, saltwater's probably not for you.

Sadielynn said:
Just use caution with these as when they run out of food they will starve and die releasing toxins into your tank and in a 10 that will happen almost instantly (toxin poisoning )

Could you supplement with something like those Hikari Algae wafers I used to feed to my plecos? Or a clump of chaetomorph (sp?) or something?

Re: EEE

clearerphish said:
Sadielynn said:

Could you supplement with something like those Hikari Algae wafers I used to feed to my plecos? Or a clump of chaetomorph (sp?) or something?
I dont believe that would work I believe it has to be what they eat naturally ....
link 1

link 2

link 3

link 4

Well, based on those articles I think I'll save the nudibranch for the 55/75 gallon. Thanks so much, Sadie. My bookmarks have increased exponentially because of all the great sources posted by people here.

New issue - got a clean-up crew.

3 mexican turbo snails
2 astrea snails
1 margarita snail
1 emerald crab
1 skunk cleaner shrimp

Everyone acclimated to the tank well. The emerald crab hit the sand and immediatfely started tearing algae out and feeding on it. The margarita is huge. He moved a path right through the algae. It was awesome watching him eat. I named him Don Vito. :lol:

This morning, I came into the office to find the margarita upside down on the sand and retreated into his shell. I placed him back upright on the rockwork, but his foot has not emerged yet. Is he dead? Everyone else seems to be doing fine, my water params look great. Just want to know if I should wait to remove him or get him out of there, it's been 20 minutes with no sign of movement since I righted him.

Back
Top Bottom