10g stocking question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting a 10g and looking into a yellow lab but all the research says it needs atleast 30g tank when they only grow 4 to5 inches why so big? can I keep on or two in a ten? what is the best setup stock for a ten? if I cant go with the lab?

No yellow labs, they would definitely need more space! They dart around a lot and would probably go nuts in a small tank like that.

I would look for maybe some German Blue Ram (pair, peaceful, colorful, small 2"each), a pair of Honey Gouramis (the most peaceful ones, and small 2"each), and some pygmy corys (smallest corys, about 1", get 4).

That way your 10gal will be fully stocked and you'll have a peaceful, colorful, and interesting community with bottom, middle and top dwelling fish :wink: .

kaz said:
I'm getting a 10g and looking into a yellow lab but all the research says it needs atleast 30g tank when they only grow 4 to5 inches why so big?

Nix on the yellow lab. They are pretty fish but they need swimming room. It would be like putting a family of 5 in a one-bedroom appartment. Can they survive? sure. Will they like it? Nope.

can I keep on or two in a ten? what is the best setup stock for a ten? if I cant go with the lab?

Here is a link to an article about stocking aquariums and some of the reasoning behind it . Maybe it will be helpful: *General stocking advice*

hope that helps.

You should consider moving the dwarf puffers to the 10gal and using your 1.5gal to breed snails. You may be able to add another DP too.

I turn my puffers back I think I was just not ready to take on the responsablity and attention that puffers need. so dwarf cichlids would work on a ten gallon?

ok this is my thoughts 2 german blue rams, 2 dwarf gouramis, 3 ottos and maybe a couple of runny nose tetras or leave them out?

I'm sorry but 10 gal is too small for all those fish. Besides, dwarf gouramis can be very agressive (every other gourami will get too big for your tank), so it is not a good idead to keep two of them in a 10 gal! Otos should be in groups of at least 4 and tetras need a school of at least 6 to feel comfortable.

As a result, you wishlist won't work, unless you get a bigger tank! If you don't have the money for it right now (I have it neither), stick to a smaller fishlist.

in a 10 gallon you definately have choices that can be done.
you can have a tanganyikan darf shell dweller tank. Grant it you can only have 2 or 3 shellies (i suggest 2 only) ... some species would be Ocellatus or multifasciatus (multies). You can easily house 2 of those (Need 1 male and 1 female to work properly mind you) with a dwarf pleco. Also, you could also do dwarf rainbows. There are so many available to people now that it isn't funny. You could go with some guppies or even endlers. Certain species of killifish would work in a 10. Lets also not forget that you could have it setup with eggcrate seperators and do 2 or 3 bettas (make sure they can't jump into other territories).

See, lots of options are out there.

My personal opinion is that rams need more space, especially the German Rams. They also require more attention, though not as much as the puffers. If you do decide on getting rams, get a male and female. Two males will be very territorial in that little space. Oh, and make sure there is plenty of hiding spaces for the female so she doesn't get pestered to death. Literally. :wink:

Good luck!

I just moved my Bolivian Ram to my 55G with the sharks that I moved from my 26G. I added Fire Red Dwarf Gouramis and the Bolivian Ram did not like them at all, always nipping at their fins and chasing them all over. So I had no choice but to move the Ram to the 55G with the rest of his old-time buddies before the move. Just something to consider with Rams.

didnt read the second page so I am removing my post. Dont want to give bad advice. Althought I would still consider using the 10 gal as a qt tank and waiting till you have a bigger tank to do what you really want to. It will be worth the wait in the long run for you and your fish.

Well, by looking at your stock list for your 20g, I'd suggest moving the dwarf gouramis (one or both) and the guppies or neons to the 10. The 20g is quite heavily stocked so I would recommend to not get any more fish. Also, you do know the banded leporinus can get to a foot long, don't you?

Two male dwarf gouramis might fight in a little space like that, just like two male GBRs. If you get pairs the males might fight. If you are willing to take that risk, do so, but I would leave the tatras out since you don't have enought space for schooling fishes, exspecially since they need to be in groups of at least 5 or 6.

Back
Top Bottom