12 gal Nanocube DX. 48watts of light, 4WPG question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soh15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just starting to look into Nanocubes. I want to be able to set up a system I can have corrals and fish. I want to know what lighting I need. Is 4WPG ok, if not what WPG should I shoot for. 4, 5, 6? I have seen mod hoods that have upto 126watts, is more better.

I have a 12gal nano cube deluxe with 48watts of light and it does just fine for most soft corals and LPS corals. More light is better for some corals, just remember that 12gal is not a lot of real estate or water volume. The number of corals you can put in will be limited and temp control may be a problem with higher wattage lights. Is this your first SW tank?

Yes first SW, I have 2 FW right now but always wanted to try SW. I your the picks of your tank. Is all that under 48watts? If so that is what I am looking for. Does it run hot with 48W, Do you use a heater?, or chiller?

I have one old pic of my nano in my gallery. Here is a more recent pic...

Attachments

• 12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_842.jpg
    12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_842.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 71
If this is your first SW tank you should really look at starting with a larger tank. 12gal is pretty small to start with and the margin for error is slim at best. Larger tanks give you more stable parameters and are, in general, easier to care for. I suggest a 29gal or larger to start. That being said, you can certainly try a 12gal, just know the maintenance schedule will be more intense and you will need to keep a constant eye on water parameters. The nanocube is a decent tank. If you are using it for SW I suggest you throw away all of the sponges, ceramic rings and bioballs that come with the unit (actually, so does JBJ). Just fill up the filtration compartments with LR rubble and you are set. Depending on where you live you will most likely need a heater for cold months. A chiller is not needed or particle in a tank of this size.

I think I am going to try the Nanocube, and go VERY slow. I was looking at some on www.nanocustoms.com and think I may get one from them. One more question, The sump, is there one on the stock Nanocube. And if not do I need one?

The sump, is there one on the stock Nanocube.
Sort of. the back of the tank is divided into three filter chambers for media, chemical fitration and a return pump.
Also Live Rock, How many pounds do I need? 12gal + the sump and filter?
I would go 20-24lbs in the main and fill up the filtration compartments with LR rubble.

One more question. I was thinking of cyclilng with Live sand and a dead shrimp, then when cycled I was going to add the LR. I was thinking this way I will have less die off from the LR. Then I figured it will do another small cycle with the LR, and I would then add one fish and many a snail for a few months. Do that sound good, Or not?

That sounds fine, depending on where you get the rock from. If your rock os coming in fully cured then cycling first will preserve some of the life. If you are using rock thta needs to be re-cured then you can just put in at the begining and let the die-off cycle the tank.

another thing you can do it buy hirocks rocks and add it AFTER cycling (my hubby is doing that to skip on the intial algae scrubbing lol) If you put a good calcuim additive in and get a small corraline encrusted rock from your LFS you'll have awesome purple rocks in no time with a lot less hassles. You can even scrub the rock inside your tank to sort of seed the rest of the rock. JMHO. I was using natureef liquid aragonite and I had corraline growing everywhere! Gotta say though, thats an awfully small tank to start off with. You will have to stay on top of it everyday...and form a very good relationship with Lando lol!

Back
Top Bottom