125 gallon lake malawi build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad to report no leaks (happy dance) first coat of paint almost dry second coat then back on stand will be picking up egg crate and sand next weekend then finally start cycling while hunting down rock

Spray paint?

Spray paint?

Spray paint is awesome for "black blacking" a tank. Also I have a 20 gallon grow out tank that I painted the bottom exterior with "textured paint" that looks like sand. Looking in the tank it looks like a sand bottom but it's just the glass. Stays beyond clean!

Attachments

• image-1836407788.jpg
    image-1836407788.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 77
Spray paint is awesome for "black blacking" a tank. Also I have a 20 gallon grow out tank that I painted the bottom exterior with "textured paint" that looks like sand. Looking in the tank it looks like a sand bottom but it's just the glass. Stays beyond clean!

That is very interesting never heard of that thumbs up for creativity

Ya I just used a black matte roll on paint. Looks like it turned out nice though man

Yah it did I'd like to see a pic of yours I haven't seen to many roll paint tanks OK so can anybody explain how egg crate works

It is commonly used when heavy rock formations are used in the aquarium,preventing pressure points from occurring along the bottom of the tank..assuming you'd be using sand in the setup as Africans love sifting/digging in the substrate causing rockworck to settleh&possibly cause damage...cut the egg crate to size,place in bottom of tank before adding substrate,build rockwock on the eggcrate so as it has no room to settle&fill in around your rockwork(assuming you'll be using some form of rock)...I had almost 100lbs of lace rock in my 75g African tank with no issues...

It is commonly used when heavy rock formations are used in the aquarium,preventing pressure points from occurring along the bottom of the tank..assuming you'd be using sand in the setup as Africans love sifting/digging in the substrate causing rockworck to settleh&possibly cause damage...cut the egg crate to size,place in bottom of tank before adding substrate,build rockwock on the eggcrate so as it has no room to settle&fill in around your rockwork(assuming you'll be using some form of rock)...I had almost 100lbs of lace rock in my 75g African tank with no issues...

OK thank you I am going to be using sand and the rock I'm using is a mixture mainly river rock from a couple different river I'm going to shoot for as flat as I can and a few round ones mixed with driftwood thank you for explaining the egg crate any idea where to find some

OK thank you I am going to be using sand and the rock I'm using is a mixture mainly river rock from a couple different river I'm going to shoot for as flat as I can and a few round ones mixed with driftwood thank you for explaining the egg crate any idea where to find some

Most home improvement stores carry it..it is used for pre-hung ceilings as a cover for the lighting box...

Another thing I did for extra support was I bought some blue board(3/8" thk),cut it to fit in the recessed areas on the bottom of the tank for extra support...$5 for the materials...

Its a "foam"insulating board&comes in sheets...if you flip your tank over where the bottom is facing up, there should be 1-3 recessed areas..cut the board in these areas&secure in place with either silicone or tape...it may sit a little high on the stand but with the weight if the water/decor it compresses nicely to support the bottom of tank..

Its a "foam"insulating board&comes in sheets...if you flip your tank over where the bottom is facing up, there should be 1-3 recessed areas..cut the board in these areas&secure in place with either silicone or tape...it may sit a little high on the stand but with the weight if the water/decor it compresses nicely to support the bottom of tank..

OK thank you I will look into that my tank is just one space its an old tank no center brace extra thick glass for rigidness about 3/4in glass the beast is heavy lol that blue board idea is interesting I will definitely look into that

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom