125 litre fish tank cycle advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djj123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi i got my new tank last friday and set it up as normal then read up on the fishless cycle ive added pure ammonia and got a reading of 7.0 im also getting readings of 3.3 for nitrite with no change in the reading of ammonia is this ok also now getting readings for nitrate do i need to do a water change or leave it as it is to run its course thanks dave

I would just keep topping up the same amount ammonia to keep the levels steady until the nitrite reaches 0. (But don't try to keep ammonia at 7ppm as this means as your tank cycles you are increasing the ammount of ammonia added each time.) Once nitirite drops to 0 then you can do a big pwc immediately before stocking your tank.

ive added no ammonia for two days and it hasent dropped my idea was the ammonia would drop and the nitrites would rise but the ammonia is staying at 7 and the nitrites rising is this ok

it may be that the test kit is not sensitive enough to pick up the drop. Or it could have originally higher than 7 (and the test not sensitive enough to show higher levels) and has not yet dropped below 7.

Leave it and let nature take its course. You don't want to interrupt your cycle by messing around with things.

ok i will leave it as it is do i still need to add a tea spoon of ammonia every two day or do i do that when it reaches 0 ammonia

i am getting readings for all 3 so the tank is doing something

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom