15 Gallon Stocking Options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ownedbycats

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting a tank and would like opinons on stocking. I have some fish already, sort of know what I want but would like it if anyone can point out possible problems. I have a RENA smart filter rated for 30 gallons, and a 50 Watt heater. The tank is going to be planted, and already has some plants. I eventually want to add some driftwood and a rock cave or two.

15 Gallons:
Already have: 7 harlequin rasboras

Planning:
6 corys (pygmy or dainty)
3-4 red cherry shrimps
maybe a Malaysian trumpet snail.

I would also like a center piece fish, but I would like a species that can be kept in pairs. Bettas are pretty but I know you can only keep one.
Also, if I can't find the corys is there another small bottom dweller that would be happy in my tank?

Look at my siggy line for the stock in my 16 gallon tank...... although there is no centerpiece fish, it doesn't really need one. Every species, with the exception of the otos, is spawning in this tank and everybody leaves everybody else alone. It's the most peaceful tank I have.

Thanks for the other small bottom dweller ideas.
I want a peaceful tank, and I want one where the whole tank has fish hanging out. The harlequins are doing that nicely for the top and middle, even thoug they aren't full grown yet.
It's hard to be patient, I really want to see my tank full (but not overstocked) with fish, with the harlequins at full size and color. I've only had them a couple of days and they have already gone from pale and washed out to solid black triangles and hints of orange (I think it was having the plants to hide in) hovering back and forth in the middle of the tank.

Part of the reason I don't have a centerpiece fish is also due to having lots of hanging java moss for the shrimp to hang out/spawn in. The moss provides them with micro nutrients, too, so it serves many purposes. But the moss takes up enough space where a centerpiece fish wouldn't really work for me. The small species love darting around in it, though.

We have a 15 gallon with a single black moor goldfish. He's happy and has a ton of personality.

This is actually a 20g long tank divided into a 5gallon section and a 15 gallon section. the 5 gallon section will hold a pair of ADFs and they need the same temperature most tropical fish do. A goldfish wouldn't be happy in my warmer water, and I don't have room to expand to a bigger tank when a goldfish outgrows this one.

What about a school of chili rasboras or a school of CPD's, and some scarlet badis? Those three are my favorite Nano fish. Both the chili's and CPD's have AMAZING color when in the proper planted tank. The scarlet badis will pick off baby shrimp, but if you have enough hiding spaces some will definitely survive. You could also add in the scarlet badis when you have a shrimp colony going already. They wont pick on adult shrimp, only baby's.

I respectfully disagree. Kuhli loaches need a much larger footprint. They need to zoom from corner to corner and down the length of the tank. I have a dozen of these wonderful guys and wouldn't recommend less than a 30 gallon tank.

Don't worry, I'm researching any suggestions I get. I asked for suggestions because I can't research a species if I don't know it exists.:D
From what I've found, Lynda's right. Kuhli loaches need more space than I can give them. Too bad, because they look like interesting additions, but I want anything in my tank to be happy in there.

Back
Top Bottom