150 Gallon Tank, Now What?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a few questions. I am a beginner and apologize for dumb questions. I just purchased a 150 Gallon w/ 2 overflows to go in a wall. What is my next purchase? I plan to have a reef tank with fish. I plan on using a protein skimmer? How much should I spend on a skimmer and how big should the sump be? I would like to know how big the pumps should be and how many do I need? I heard 3, does this sound right?
I also have been talking to my local fish store and although they give good advice, is it the best. I already noticed that depending on who you talk to, you will get a different answer. I have took a liking to an experienced saltwater fish guy which I bought the tank from. He thanked me for the opportunity to assist me on my tank. Told me to come back and he would give me further instructions on my next step. After doing some research and talking to a couple people, I have found better prices on the internet or thru mailorder. Is this the way to go? I am reading more & more on the hobby everyday and I do need the advice. Should I get my stuff elsewhere to save the money or use my local store. I hope you get the gist of what I am saying here. Give me your thoughts.

On the skimmer go as big as you can afford, $400 range for a good one,I run a 40 gallon sump on my 150 but adding a 40 refugium as well pretty quick so I would advise going with a large refugium instead of a sump for a reef tank.IMO I run a mag 18 for return pump but you will find that once adding lr you will have dead spots of little or no water movement with only two returns, I added 2 Tunze 6100's and cured the problem and then some but you could go with a few maxi jet 1200's as well. The main thing is buy what you need the first time around to avoid the redoing it later and spending more money thats not really necessary. As far as buying the stuff local or the net I would buy the major stuff online since it's a LOT cheaper in most cases but you have to remember that if the store makes no money they will not be their for you later on, so spend some with them as well to help keep their doors open. I would advise reading several books before going any farther as it could save a TON of money and mainly just do it right the first time. You wil find that you have only scratched the surface of getting started and spending money so good luck and you will soon see that a 150 reef tank is addictive and expensive.

Back
Top Bottom