15g column tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Window shopping at a few LFS today (I know, Dangerous!) and I saw two 15gal Column tanks and thought they would look fantastic in my living room on either side of our entertainment setup. Don't worry, the way we have everything set up there would be no worry of anything electrical getting wet.

My question is what would put out in them? 15g talk doesn't leave a lot of swim room. I was considering dwarf gouramis or Betta or...... Well you tell me.

skiweeangel said:
Window shopping at a few LFS today (I know, Dangerous!) and I saw two 15gal Column tanks and thought they would look fantastic in my living room on either side of our entertainment setup. Don't worry, the way we have everything set up there would be no worry of anything electrical getting wet.

My question is what would put out in them? 15g talk doesn't leave a lot of swim room. I was considering dwarf gouramis or Betta or...... Well you tell me.

You probably already know, but dwarf gouramis are having problems somewhere in breeding, and most of them seem to randomly die. I had two die on me randomly, no signs of sickness, and perfect water parameters.
A betta would work well in that tank, along with some other fish. Maybe some cories?
What brands are they? I saw an aqueon one the other day.

Scouser said:
Well they are both lab' fish I believe so they would need ample surface to breath from.

Maybe some nano schools would do better in those tanks?

A betta would have ample space for breath.... it would just have to swim higher to reach it. Nano schools would be good too.

maxwellag said:
A betta would have ample space for breath.... it would just have to swim higher to reach it. Nano schools would be good too.

First of all you don't know it'll have ample room because you haven't seen the tank in question.

Secondly the height if the tank may cause issues because if it is a long swim for a slow betta it will stay nearer the top, not the ideal look for a "display" tank.

And finally would you like having to walk a fair distance to breathe constantly? I know I wouldn't.

Of course all of this is my opinion lol.

Scouser said:
First of all you don't know it'll have ample room because you haven't seen the tank in question.

Secondly the height if the tank may cause issues because if it is a long swim for a slow betta it will stay nearer the top, not the ideal look for a "display" tank.

And finally would you like having to walk a fair distance to breathe constantly? I know I wouldn't.

Of course all of this is my opinion lol.

I guess it does depend on the height of the tank... but the 15 gallon column I saw didn't seem that tall.

Either fish would work individually. They are both "labyrinth" fish, but that just means that they have adapted to being able to beathe from the suurface WHEN they have to. It isn't their most common choice. By breathing at the surface, they can survive periods of low oxygenation saturation. A 15G tall tank is not too deep for either.

There are a ton of possibilities for those tanks.... they make great nano fish tanks! You could also do something like a ram or apisto if there's enough decor and once the tank is mature. Hmmm.... We do have some space next to our entertainment center.... lol

Last edited:
HN1 said:
Either fish would work individually. They are both "labyrinth" fish, but that just means that they have adapted to being able to beathe from the suurface WHEN they have to. It isn't their most common choice. By breathing at the surface, they can survive periods of low oxygenation saturation. A 15G tall tank is not too deep for either.

There are a ton of possibilities for those tanks.... they make great nano fish tanks! You could also do something like a ram or apisto if there's enough decor and once the tank is mature. Hmmm.... We do have some space next to our entertainment center.... lol

Haha! I told you it was dangerous! I have heard about the DGs and was wondering if anyone knew a good breeder. I love the dwarf neon blue gouramis but I don't want to keep buying and supporting an overbreeding system.

The tanks were the aqueon brand, not a true column tank I would say almost looks like you took a 15gal regular and turned it on its end.

I love bettas and gouramis both so maybe one type in each tank. Or either a Betta or gouramis tank and the other a nano school.... Wow, soooo many choice but rather a moot point because I can not afford two of them right now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom