170 Gallon Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KoiKage

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm going to be getting a 170 gallon freshwater tank soon and I would love to keep angelfish in it, how many could I fit in there and what are some colorful schooling fish that would be good with the angelfish"?

Hi I'm going to be getting a 170 gallon freshwater tank soon and I would love to keep angelfish in it, how many could I fit in there and what are some colorful schooling fish that would be good with the angelfish"?

I've got 3 large ones, 1 dwarf and 3 recent purchases. I was working on ending up with 5 for a 150 gal 4ft tank. I thought that would spread the aggression around but still learning.

The 3 large ones squabble but mainly used to each other. This weekend I did the last replanting of giant hydro so they will have some places to get away from each other. Just need another month of growing it out.

I have them with black mollies, serpae tetras, rosy barbs, then yo yo loaches and bn catfish. They don't bother baby bn catfish or yo yo loaches but anything with a neon tetra shape and size they will go for. Lost some young rosy barbs to them.

So I've found I can do schooling fish and have the angelfish as centrepiece fish but schooling fish must be good size.

Yet to see any pair up or anything so still early days if this will work out.

You could fit many angels but be warned, when angelfish pair up they can become evil.

Some colourful fish that would go nice with them are boesemani, turquoise, and red Irian rainbows. Rainbows have to be the easiest fish to feed and I find them awesome.

Boesemani rainbows would look amazing in that tank!!! I have a group in my 90g and they are awesome. I would def have more in an even bigger tank!

Boesemani rainbows would look amazing in that tank!!! I have a group in my 90g and they are awesome. I would def have more in an even bigger tank!

I know right boesemanis are awesome! I only have 3 cause I need the room for all of my other rainbow species lol.

Back
Top Bottom