1st pregnant guppy , with ich i think ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgy

Aquarium Advice Regular
took 6 weeks to cycle my tank , finally got fish

now my first pregnant guppy has a big white spot on her what could it be ?
is it ich ?

Attachments

• IMG_2895.jpg
    IMG_2895.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 121
Not sur exactly what that is but it's not Ick. Ick as I have experienced it will be smaller white dots about the size of a mechanical pencils lead. Looks like maybe a fungus infection.

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Going to go with fungal as well. Needs treatment.

Is it hairy / fuzzy above the scales or eating into the scales?

Ok what's the best form of treatment ?

Yea it looks abit hairy , and sort of starting to for a lump !

I've only used over the counter fungal treatments. Mainly chemical like malachite green just looking at a bottle now. Pimafix and melafix I haven't found useful where the infection has a good hold. You should get a decrease in a few days. How long has it been there?

No worries I will get some ASAP !

Been 2 days now !

Does look fungal, could spread to babies when she gives birth so good thing you are getting meds. Fungas is really bad for eggs but dont think it can get inside to the eggs when she is pregnant. We have had good results treating guppies with Mardel Maracyn Powder Packets and Maracyn2 for more severe infections. It is possible the meds could cause a mini cycle so make sure to keep any eye on ammonia levels.

She is a pretty female. Yellow? Keep us updated and ask any questions.

Yea she's yellow got the treatment today only one my lfs had was blue planet tri sulfa tablets and treated her tank

Has anyone used these before or no anything ?

Hopefully it's not to late :(

Yea she's yellow got the treatment today only one my lfs had was blue planet tri sulfa tablets and treated her tank

Has anyone used these before or no anything ?

Hopefully it's not to late :(

Yes I've used triple sulpha but to treat gram negative bacterial infections such as columnaris (cotton mouth or saddleback). I'm not aware of it working for fungal infections. Does anyone know out there?

Did the lfs have nothing for fungal infections I gather? What about a general cure or ich treatment?

I recantly had an out break in my guppy tank which looked identical to your pic. The guppy died and then another and another but only females were affected. By the end of it I lost all my females . I finally treated with seachem polyguard and managed to stop the disease and save the males and fry. Melafix and pimafix didn't seem to help at all. My pet store guy said it's a parasite that eats at the flesh and when the fish die it moves to the next. I also noticed that dropping the temp in the tank slowed the disease down.. Good luck and keep us updated.

Yes about the same experience with melafix and pimafix. I mean if it works great but I've only had luck with it at early stages.

I had a quick look and saw triple sulpha can be used for fungal infections but all I found was it was used with say MG. Definitely interested in how it is going for treatment.

Nah the lfs said this was perfect for fungal infections , it's been 2 days since I've dosed the tank as per instructions

It seems to be working and the effected area is healing , but the guppy is very bloated , struggling to swim and will
Not leave the heater

Also seams to be a bulge under her Gravid spot , guess this has something to do with her being very pregnant

What should I expect could this just be her healing ? Or dying ?

Nah the lfs said this was perfect for fungal infections , it's been 2 days since I've dosed the tank as per instructions

It seems to be working and the effected area is healing , but the guppy is very bloated , struggling to swim and will
Not leave the heater

Also seams to be a bulge under her Gravid spot , guess this has something to do with her being very pregnant

What should I expect could this just be her healing ? Or dying ?

Oh well, if it works it works :)

Yes, unless any bloating has gotten much worse since treatment started I would say that is normal for her. So hopefully healing. I've had no troubles with tri sulpha ime.

The heater could be a warm spot or not as much water flow and she likes that spot. Would that be possible?

How are water conditions going? Are ammonia, ph, etc still good?

Yea that would be possible but she's really struggling to swim and is sort of on her side & not eating ...

Water is fine
Ammonia =0
Nitrate =5
Nitrite=0
Ph=7.5

I've had a smaller seperate tank set up for the fry so it's only her in it , which is good because I heard that treatments like this can kill good bacteria in the filter

Yea that would be possible but she's really struggling to swim and is sort of on her side & not eating ...

Water is fine
Ammonia =0
Nitrate =5
Nitrite=0
Ph=7.5

I've had a smaller seperate tank set up for the fry so it's only her in it , which is good because I heard that treatments like this can kill good bacteria in the filter

Doesn't sound good.

Just to check. She went in the QT, tri sulpha added and started to get the bloating? Also the infection is getting better as well? Is it a lot better?

Yea that's correct , yea the infection was bad looking
Like cotton wool , now it's gotten smaller Since the meds where added ...

What's the bloating
Mean ?

The bloating could mean problems with the young, constipation or fluid build up. I'm guessing as a reaction to the meds somewhere and she has lost equilibrium. Not eating and on side not very good sounding unfortunately. Are the scales raised out at all (pine coning)?

I assume you have used a full dose so I would try a 50% water change (effectively halve the meds dosage) and see if any improvement. Even though water specs are good sometimes a pwc will perk them up.

Next try adding epsom salts which can help with flushing fluids out and also for constipation.

She passed this morning:(

hopefully the other fish is in the main tank don't catch it

Has anyone had trouble with it killing the good bacteria in the filter ?

Sad news.

I've got on mine that it will impact bb if used for extended periods, but have not noticed a problem using it in DT or QT.

Are you seeing any ammonia increase?

Nahh I added a full dose twice , to the qt tank and abit less then half dose once to the main tank to try stop in from going to other fish

In both still was :

Ammonia =0
Nitrite =0
Nitrate =5
Ph=7.8

Back
Top Bottom