1st time Cycle stuck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wouldn't do one imo. I have heard high nitrates can stall a cycle, but yours are not that high compared to what mine where.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ok thanks Dalto. will dose again if its 0,0 tonight. Do I have to do a wc to bring the nitrates down at all before I dose again? or just let it go?
Nope, just keep dosing, high nitrates are not an issue like nitrites are.

ok thanks guys. Im so hoping that I will be able to turn a 24hr this week. its gona kill me if I have to wait another week. :( come on :bb:

Hey guys, ok so 1st pic is the test i did when i got in from work tonight, so its all good 0,0,40.

So i dosed up to 2ppm again at 8pm then tested an hour later and got the read on the ammo. I will check again tomorrow evening around 8pm and I should be 0,0,greater than 40 correct?

what do i do if it hasn't turned everything within the 24 hour? :(:(

Attachments

• IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0727.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 35
Keep dosing every time your ammonia is 0 and your nitrites are 0(or close).

My expectation is that your ammonia is fine at this point but the second set of bacteria may need a couple of more days.

What are you planning on putting in the tank this weekend?

Keep dosing every time your ammonia is 0 and your nitrites are 0(or close).

My expectation is that your ammonia is fine at this point but the second set of bacteria may need a couple of more days.

What are you planning on putting in the tank this weekend?

Ok thanks Dalto, was going to get 3 baby clown loaches, 15 neons and maybe a couple of dwarf gouramis.. Don't quite know , but was going to stock up to about 35% ??

At those stocking levels you will be good to go even if you don't quite make it by the holiday.

On a separate note, I would strongly recommend planning out your whole tank before you start buying fish as all the fish you mention will limit future stocking. Dwarf gouramis can be feisty and sometimes intolerant of other tank mates depending on the individual. Neon tetras are so small there are many fish that will eat them and clown loaches get large and active and may not be compatible with other more passive species. It sucks when you get halfway through stocking only to realize that the fish you really want is not compatible with the fish you already have.

At those stocking levels you will be good to go even if you don't quite make it by the holiday.

On a separate note, I would strongly recommend planning out your whole tank before you start buying fish as all the fish you mention will limit future stocking. Dwarf gouramis can be feisty and sometimes intolerant of other tank mates depending on the individual. Neon tetras are so small there are many fish that will eat them and clown loaches get large and active and may not be compatible with other more passive species. It sucks when you get halfway through stocking only to realize that the fish you really want is not compatible with the fish you already have.

Yeah I hear u on the stocking, I know the loach can get big. It's gona be a little bit by ear when I get to the lfs. Planning on with the stocking calc and different configurations b 4 I get anything though. Thx Dalto

With a 90 gal tank a shoal of 15+ neons would be a cool sight. I have 20 in mine and its awesome when most are swimming together!

One thing I would seriously consider is getting cardinals instead of neons. They are a bit bigger as adults and quite a bit more durable. If you do get neons I always recommend wild caught. Quite a few of the farm raised neons are really poor quality.

Oh and another thing. QUARANTINE QUARANTINE QUARANTINE! Don't want the display tank having a problem because of a few sick fish

Ohh man .. still no go?? :banghead: :(:(

24hrs 0,5,40-80 ??

Attachments

• IMG_0728.JPG
    IMG_0728.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0729.JPG
    IMG_0729.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 48
Ok guys so here is the 48hr test results, as I thought were processed.. 0,0,40-80

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417049140.968586.jpg

I just dosed again to 2ppm/6.8ml, will check to make sure I see the ammo a bit later.
Will see if we get back to norm on 24hrs for this run.. [emoji15][emoji15]

Ok guys so here is the 48hr test results, as I thought were processed.. 0,0,40-80

I just dosed again to 2ppm/6.8ml, will check to make sure I see the ammo a bit later.
Will see if we get back to norm on 24hrs for this run.. [emoji15][emoji15]

OK Dalto/guys, so here we go another 48 hrs past. ammo was 0 within 12 hrs, but still taking time to process the nitrites .. :(:( Maybe the nitrites are a little lighter 2ppm??

I'm guessing will be gone when i test tomorrow, but ammo to 0 in 12 then nitrites to 0 in another 48 isnt good enough right?

Attachments

• IMG_0731.JPG
    IMG_0731.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 51
The bacteria that turns nitrites to nitrates takes longer to grow. Just give it time for them to catch up. You need to have just nitrates after 24 hours to be cycled.

Yep I think I'm good, was chatting to Dalto and it should be good to get a few fishies this holiday w/e as the family are driving me nuts .. [emoji13] I am planning to stock to about 30% tomorrow and run them in for a few weeks before I get any more little fellas,, [emoji4]

Will post back some pics when they are in.

Back
Top Bottom