1st time Cycle stuck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lets dose ammonia again just so we can guarantee that we are keeping that part of the cycle. Once the ammonia is gone do a water change to get the nitrites down to a readable level. Then wait a couple of days and measure again. It should not increase in those 2 days.

ok thanks Dalto. do dose to 2ppm? then when clear of ammo do a 100% (this may be a little hard as the filter is about 5G, it will probably end up being 90%) wc as mebbid suggests?

Thanks guys for all your comments and help! ...

To read the nitrites now you could also dilute the water. .5 ml of tank water and 4.5 ml of distilled or tap water (provided tap has no nitrites). Multiply readings by 10 to get actual amounts

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is good info to know .. I will use that method if its off the charts again. thanks FW! (y)

ok thanks Dalto. do dose to 2ppm? then when clear of ammo do a 100% (this may be a little hard as the filter is about 5G, it will probably end up being 90%) wc as mebbid suggests?

Thanks guys for all your comments and help! ...
That will work....as long as it comes back down to readable.

Hey guys/Dalto, so ammo processing still ok.
Dosed last night to 2ppm as per 1st pic, then just checked again and its clear.

Going to do as big as wc as I can now. prob 90%. hope thats ok.

Will test again tomorrow and if the nitrites arnt down onto the scale will do another after work.

let me know if you think I need to do anything different. :(:(

Attachments

• IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 53
Im doing my tank the same way as you. I added ammonia up to 4ppm and now its sitting there. I added some tetra safestart, and no levels changed for 3 days, but today its down to 2ppm, so something is happening. Just be patient and if you can, look on youtube for Dr. Tims fishless cycling video................its very informative and easy to understand.

Im doing my tank the same way as you. I added ammonia up to 4ppm and now its sitting there. I added some tetra safestart, and no levels changed for 3 days, but today its down to 2ppm, so something is happening. Just be patient and if you can, look on youtube for Dr. Tims fishless cycling video................its very informative and easy to understand.

yep, thanks for the encouragement ppo. I did add BB filter balls to my setup, but im not sure if they helped or hindered at this point. I think dosing up to 4ppm ammo probably didnt help and I only need to dose to 2 (which I have changed to).

Hopefully when I test after work my nitrites will be back down around readable levels, then continue to drop off in the next couple of days. :hide:

Hey Dalto, so here we go. all back to normal now after 90% wc.

Should I go ahead and dose to 2ppm ammo now? (i hope this works)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 54
Looks like a very small amount if nitrites. Leave it alone for a day and see if your nitrites rise or fall. If they rise on their own, something is very wrong. If not, dose back your ammonia and see what happens.

Looks like a very small amount if nitrites. Leave it alone for a day and see if your nitrites rise or fall. If they rise on their own, something is very wrong. If not, dose back your ammonia and see what happens.

ok, looking at it in different lights, it looks pretty blue to me with no hint of purple, but I can leave it another day. I might just add a few more fake plants tonight, but that shouldn't affect anything right?

Thanks Dalto (y)

It is hard to say from a picture but when it is 0 it is more of teal color. It then goes to blue and then purple.

It is hard to say from a picture but when it is 0 it is more of teal color. It then goes to blue and then purple.

Ok will leave it and check again tomorrow. Should be good to put some washed fake plants in will I'm waiting though?

Hey Dalto/guys, so ran the tests again tonight, I think the nitrites are defo at 0. planning to dose to 2ppm ammo and see if I can make it all the way through. Sound ok? :hide:

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0709.JPG
    IMG_0709.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 44
Yeah, that looks like 0.

Lets dose the ammonia and see what happens :)

Hey guys, ok so the 1st test is after I dosed to 2ppm 6.8ml last night.
The second pic is the test I just ran.
So heavy nitrites and it looks like the ammo is nearly back to 0, but maybe a slight tinge of green? although the nitrates look slightly darker?

I guess I just need to leave it for another day? :(

Attachments

• IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 44
If you can remove the nitrites in 24 hours (48 hours after ammonia was doesed back up) you should be really close imo

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom