1st time feeding veggies..Help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spence22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just attempted to feed my comet goldish some veggies for the first time ever. I prepared some sliced zuccinie just as my local pet store associate avised me to. I have a thin slice clamped on a veggie clip.The problem is, my fish doesnt seem interested at all. I honestly think he doesnt know what it is. Any advice or tips?

Leave it in there for a day in a prominent area that you know he hangs out (as in, not in a corner he doesn't usually go)? If he gets bored and curious, he may try nibbling and discover it's food. The proverbial "they" say don't leave it in for more than 24 hrs, but you can pull out the one in there and replace it if he still hasn't figured it out *lol*

Ok, I feed him in the front left corner of my aquarium so that where i put the veggie clip. At one point he was looking at it but didnt act.

Try some plain, cooked broccoli florets. Broccoli has a stronger smell than most veggies & he may find it a bit more enticing & easier to nibble on. Goldfish do use their sense of smell! If they are cooked, they should sink to the bottom. Same idea, leave it for 24hrs & remove & replace. Hows the maracyn2 working out?

Try some plain, cooked broccoli florets. Broccoli has a stronger smell than most veggies & he may find it a bit more enticing & easier to nibble on. Goldfish do use their sense of smell! If they are cooked, they should sink to the bottom. Same idea, leave it for 24hrs & remove & replace. Hows the maracyn2 working out?

Ill have to give that a try.... The maracyn 2 looks to be working a little bit. Today my goldie looked a lil better, he was way more active. His tail is still ragged but doesnt look worse, but doesnt look better. I guess only time will tell. I hope it works though!

A good trick is to put it in the blender, It can be kept in the refridgerator or even frozen afterwards. you can then mix flakes into it etc. the key is not to blend it into a puree but something like the consistency of relish.

There are all kinds of things you can add to enhance the food to optimize its health.

Spence22 said:
Ok, I feed him in the front left corner of my aquarium so that where i put the veggie clip. At one point he was looking at it but didnt act.

It took awhile for my Goldfish to realize the veggies were edible just keep putting them in and pulling them out after 24 hours. Also as suggested you can try other veggies.

I saw at my lfs they were feeding they're gold fish slices of grapefruit I think but I couldve been oranges I'm not sure

Bates1990 said:
I saw at my lfs they were feeding they're gold fish slices of grapefruit I think but I couldve been oranges I'm not sure

You can feed the pulp of oranges to goldfish but no more than once a week due to the high sugar.

It's taken my comet three days to figure out the hornwort he has is edible--saw him nibbling earlier. Some just learn slower than others. How's it working out? Has he figured it out yet?

Back
Top Bottom