2 Month Report with Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jschweg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my first aquarium up and running now for about 2 months, 10 gallon stocked with 4 cories, 2 ottos, and planted with Anacharis. Things are going very well, the fish are fat and happy, and the plants are growing like weeds.

The only potential items are the following:

1) I'm not sure if it's a type of algae, but the aquarium glass is beginning to get covered with what looks like slimy white dust. The ottos are pretty fat, so I can only assume they are eating it, but am not sure what this stuff is.

2) The water doesn't look green at all with the aquarium lamp on, but if I have the light off during the day, the water seems to have a green tinge to it. Is this an issue?

3) I hate snails. At first I thought they were neat. Now I have 300. Every time I think I've picked them all out, 3 days later they are all back. I wish my tank was big enough to fit a loach :(

I do 20-30% PWC with gravel vac weekly, and the aquarium lamp (15w) is on for about 12 hours a day.

The only advice i have is for the snails... tie a piece of cucmber to something on the bottom, in the morning when its covered with snails, take them out, keeping doing that as many times as it takes.. i don't think you will ever be able to get rid of all the snails though unless u get something that eats them, and your tank is too small. Maybe you could "borrow" a loach? LOL

One of the many reasons I will never get a planted that, but thats just me. Unless you spend hours a day on them, they start to look like a mess one way or another.

Back
Top Bottom