2 Tetras & Dwarf Gourami in 6 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UTcolorchangn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, just found this site...looks to be very helpful!

I've always had an aquarium when I was younger, just not in recent times. I recently got a 2.5 gallon aquarium about a month ago for my dorm room. Currently I have a Bleeding Heart, a Black Phantom Tetra, and several ghost shrimp in there.

After I get back from Christmas break I was planning on upgrading to an Eclipse 6 gallon aquarium. I was also planning on adding a Dwarf Gourami to my collection when I get the new aquarium set up. Would this be OK? Will the Gourami be alright as the only Gourami in the tank?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

That should work.
But I would leave out the angelfish.
More seriously, the extra cost of upgrading to a bigger eclipse will be well worth it. Jeff

Cafe Jeff said:
That should work.
But I would leave out the angelfish.
More seriously, the extra cost of upgrading to a bigger eclipse will be well worth it. Jeff

Thanks for the reply. I would love to get a bigger aquarium, but I'm in a dorm room and I am cramped for space.

I don't have an angelfish, nor do I plan on getting one.....so I'm not too sure what to say to that.

Thanks again though.

rubysoho said:
The dwarf gourami needs at least a 10 gal tank, and it will be fine alone. Here are some stats you can check out. BTW, Welcome to AA!!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=974&TopCatId=882

Just curious, why does the dwarf gourami need to have a 10 gallon tank? Does it just need more room to swim around?

When I get my 6 gallon, what other fish would you suggest then, more tetras?

Thanks for the response.

what about a couple of female bettas? I have 3 living quite happily together in my 5 gallon. Some have had the experience of their females being very aggressive, even in a 50 gallon tank. I have a theory that if you add one at a time (the one added being the smallest) then they establish a pecking order and end up being inseperable. Of course, all fish are different, so maybe I got lucky. Anyway, the females are just as colorful as the males, just with shorter fins. Another option would be fancy guppies. Those are really pretty and would most likely do well in a 6 gal (not too many of course). However, I have no experience with them so I could be wrong. HTH!

The 10 is recommended for the Gourami is recommend so they have swimming space and territory they can stake out as their own.. They like to build bubble nests on the surface so they occupy the same water level that the tetra's like to hang around in. You could potentially get away with a 6 gallon but there is also a chance that your Gourami might get a little rough with the tetra's. The other thing to consider is that a Gourami can be a big pooper.. so you have to watch your water closely and do partial water changes often and the 10 might end up being slightly more forgiving than a 6. If you can find counter space for a 10 go for it you won't be disappointed in the long run..

Good luck!

I've had my dwarf gourami for over a week now in a 10 gallon community with 2 glass fish and 2 plecos. I never observed an overabundance of poop until I had the plecos. Now those guys are like crap machines. The dwarf gourami (Goro - yes, yes. I'm creative) isn't very territorial. I guess it's all based on personality.

I would suggest 1 gourami and a couple (3-5) guppies or tetras. That should fill a good 6 gallon tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom