20 gal advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xigtc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well this is now my third tank since joining here. I really appreciate everyone's help and all of the great info available here.

My 20 gal high is lightly planted now but will soon change thanks
to all of the inspiration here. I got a low light bundle from aquariumplants.com and I have Eco-complete substrate. My equipment as of now: Filter Marineland Penguin 100B. Marineland 100watt heater, Aqueon deluxe hood w/ bulb povided Should I upgrade my filter? I plan to do an led hod when I get a chance to build one or find one I like.

Stock as of now: 4 Neon Tetras, 1 Clown Pleco, 4 RCS, and 1 African Dwarf frog. Not to keen on the frog but my wife wanted it. I planned to add 1 more Neon Tetra and would love maybe 12 RCS in total. But I know from using the stocking calculator that I'm about 50% stocked. What other fish could I add?

Ill get a pic of the tank up soon.

Attachments

• image-2198121934.jpg
    image-2198121934.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3034345966.jpg
    image-3034345966.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 97
Well this is now my third tank since joining here. I really appreciate everyone's help and all of the great info available here.

My 20 gal high is lightly planted now but will soon change thanks
to all of the inspiration here. I got a low light bundle from aquariumplants.com and I have Eco-complete substrate. My equipment as of now: Filter Marineland Penguin 100B. Marineland 100watt heater, Aqueon deluxe hood w/ bulb povided Should I upgrade my filter? I plan to do an led hod when I get a chance to build one or find one I like,

Stock as of now: 4 Neon Tetras, 1 Clown Pleco, 4 RCS, and 1 African Dwarf frog. Not to keen on the frog but my wife wanted it. I planned to add 1 more Neon Tetra and would love maybe 12 RCS in total. But I know from using the stocking calculator that I'm about 50% stocked. What other fish could I add?

Ill get a pic of the tank up soon.

Add a couple more ADF. I think you'll like them a lot better. I have 4 in my 30 gallon and having multiple of them really made them more active and brought out their personalities a lot. I didnt care for them much until I added on.

Add a couple more ADF. I think you'll like them a lot better. I have 4 in my 30 gallon and having multiple of them really made them more active and brought out their personalities a lot. I didnt care for them much until I added on.

The one I have is quite active. It competes with the Pleco for hiding spots in the DW or under the rocks and swims between the tetras when they're all together.

Went to my LFS tonight to refresh myself on fish in stock. I think this is what I'll do unless informed otherwise. Add 1 more Neon, 4-6 Rummy nose Tetra, 1 Gold Ram. I also looked at the filters they have but they only had what I have or a huge Fluval canister. I know I need to upgrade but I'm not 100% ready to jump on a setup yet.

Went to my LFS tonight to refresh myself on fish in stock. I think this is what I'll do unless informed otherwise. Add 1 more Neon, 4-6 Rummy nose Tetra, 1 Gold Ram. I also looked at the filters they have but they only had what I have or a huge Fluval canister. I know I need to upgrade but I'm not 100% ready to jump on a setup yet.

Your tank seems complete now! The neons will appreciate the extra neons.

Sounds like a good stocking plan!

Sounds like a good stocking plan!

Well I jumped on the the sale @ the lfs for $18 I got: 1 more neon, 1 Gold Ram and they only had 4 Rummy nose. Guy said they hope to get a shipment before Christmas so I can get 2 more Rummy.

I feel like I've read 400+ threads discussing filters today. I kinda feel like mine is adequate enough then again I don't feel like chancing it either. I I stay hob either Aquaclear 50 or Fluval C3. I think I could house a canister in my cabinet but I just don't feel I know enough and the smallest I've found was up to 45 gal. Seems it would be overkill if there's such a thing...

New fish new filter and new plants. Can someone tell me what the plant is in the 2nd picture?

Attachments

• image-1656911243.jpg
    image-1656911243.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1018625409.jpg
    image-1018625409.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 69
I believe it is a Banana Plant...don't very much knowledge of plants but I think I've seen that before at the lfs.

If your talking about the one that looks like a bunch of banana's it's called a Banana Plant. You really don't need a canister on a 20g. One thing about the Ram. They normally do better when added to an established tank that's been running 4-6 months so be sure to keep your nitrates low (around 10ppm since you have plants). Rams need pristine water conditions so large weekly WC's are a must.

That's what I thought it was. Yea the guy at the lfs told me about the Rams. I've already adjusted my WC calendar accordingly. As for filter I found a Aquaclear 30 for $10 read up as much I could on it and its installed and running with old media. Also because I've read so many great things about Seachems Prime, I got it and their Flourish for plants.

Back
Top Bottom